Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy Drive Controller Help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am using the FDC's ports to get it to read a sector off of the floppy drive in protected mode. I sucessfully can turn it on, wait for it to get up to speed, recalibrate, and then issue the read command for either non-dma or dma transfer... then read the 7 status(I think) bytes from the data register 03F5h. But I need to know how to set up DMA in protected mode, and if not using DMA where is the LILO that I should read from?

Thanks,
~`DarkEyes`~

hi,
i'm also working on floppy driver.i've some code for involving DMA for disk i/o.i also need ur help on some initial steps of building floppy disk driver.
why don't u email me.

hmm, i know a little about this but not alot ;)

when you perform a sector read or write - i beleive it works something liek this - initialise drive for read/write, during process: the floppy controller fires an interrupt for each byte of a sector and you need a short routine to either read/write the data port. once the whole sector has been read/written then do final routine.

this little ISR is great because it promotes multitasking.

i downloaded a datadsheet on the stadard controller 82077AA - im just trying to find the URL. its great - it covers all aspects of programming the controller.

if i find it ill post the URL here

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back