Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

floppy drive cable killing video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raindancer

Technical User
Jun 1, 2002
US
I got new rounded cables for my pc(cables by vantec). i thought the wise thing to do would be to replace them one at a time to make sure they were all good. i started with the floppy cable, computer off,anti static wrist strap( i'm a boy scout)once the new cable was in place turned pc on. the pc came on (all lights fans, and drives work)but the moniter is in hibernation, if i turn it on manually it says no signal.I flipped the cable over to see if i installed it upside down, nothing. i put the old cable back in ,nothing. i finally got it to work with the new rounded cable(booted into bios,asking what processor speed setting i wanted) but the floppy would not work. then i got the pc to work with old cable(after installing it many times)and the floppy works fine(still boots into bios!st time).I know i am missing somthing silly here,i've reseated the video card checked all the connections what am i doing wrong. And more importantly why would my floppy drive have any connection with my video card/moniter. with no power cable or ide ribbon to floppy i still get no signal(even if i take it out of the boot sequince in bios), shouldnt i be able to have a computer with no floppy?I know i am missing somthing stupid here,please save me from suicide.*note:each time moniter got no signal i had no choice but to hold powerbutten in 5 sec to shut it down,mabey thats why it boots to bios when i get it running*

XP1800
asus a7v333
1gig corsair 2700
win XP
geforce (29.42 driver)
maxtor 60 gig
350 watt power

i personally use round cables for floppy and IDE, they work beautifully, no problem here

Have you tried booting the machine without any floppy cable? I'd even unplug it just to make sure. You might try that and see if it boots fine. If it does then I'd say the floppy drive it self is doing something odd to your system.

Hope this helps,

Kenny

yes i tried no cable, power cord off and even took floppy out of the boot sequince in the bios and got same result(no signal to moniter). currently computer is working fine with old cable, and floppy works ok but im afraid to continue until i figure out whats happening so that i dont"pile on" to my problems.

unless the cable is not matching up from one end to the other

i know there are a lot of wires, if you like, match it up to see it is the way your ribbon goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back