Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

floppy disk not formatted/formatted for MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

constj

Instructor
Jul 14, 2003
US
Hi folks,

In trying to use a disk in two different pcs, I'm getting the error message that this disk hasn't been formatted or is formatted for a mac.

Information has been saved on a PC runing WIN 2000 and the pc that I'm trying to access the disk is running WIN XP.

Any thoughts on why I wouldn't be able to access the disk?

Thanks,
Jes

Both W2k and Wxp use the same file system for floppies-

I would suggest that the problem is either the physical floppy disk itself or one of the two floppy drives you are using - the one to write or the one to read.

Cheers,

Everything in its right place...

Only if the other suggestions aren't correct...

I haven't had this problem personally, but I have heard rumors that for some reason, sometimes XP is fussy about floppies. Try formatting the floppy on the XP machine, then save the data on the 2K machine.

SMAH -

I can't believe I forgot that. I have seen that problem firsthand. It seems to happen with floppies that are PREFORMATTED for IBM...XP doesn't seem to like those. Thanks for the reminder!

constj -

I would try what SMAH said FIRST. reformat the floppy on XP and then write the data to the floppy from W2k, then try to read in XP again...it should work

OTHERWISE it is probably the floppy or one of the drives.

Everything in its right place...

Thanks folks, I'll let you know how the reformatting works tomorrow...stay tuned. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back