Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy Disk Drive NOT Resetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

teresar

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2003
US
WinXP system. Start from fresh boot and put in a floppy disk and it'll read it. Remove that floppy and put in another and hit refresh and it won't. It just keeps that directory of the first disk until a reboot. Any ideas? Other than the one I know that I have to train this user to SAVE TO THE NETWORK rather than floppy disks...:)

Thanks!

I'd say your floppy cable is damaged. Specifically the pin 34 wire (the outside wire of the ribbon cable that is NOT marked with a red stripe). It's either that or the floppy drive isn't sending a signal down the Pin 34 wire (bent or broken pin on the motherboard or the floppy drive itself). Hope this helps.

Thank you! The pin you mention was bent sidewise. It is now straightened and the floppy drive is happy. HURRAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back