Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flopp write protection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowz75

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2006
US
I get the following error when I try to copy to a floppy.

Cannot copy xxx: The disk is write protected. Remove the write-protection or use another disk.

The disk itself is not write protected, I tried the toggle in both positions. I tried several disks. I tried two differant laptops and I get the same error on each. I looked in the BIOS and did not see anything about write protection. I tried the floopy drive module installed in the laptop in place of the CDROM and using the USB cable.

Dell Latitude D620
Windows XP pro

This is likely a problem with the floppy drive itself.

Either the light sensor which detects the slider on the diskette is dirty or dead. Try blowing it out with compressed air. If that doesn't fix it, change the drive.

Jock

That doesn't make any sense that you got the same Error on 2 laptops, unless there is a virus on the floppy and it was transfered to the laptops. Runn a virus scanner on the floppy.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

It doesn't make sense to me either. When it happened on the second I thought it might be a configuration of some kind. I checked policy settings, the BIOS, I un-installed the drivers, and I ran a virus scan. I can see files on the floppy, just can add to the floppy. Can't format either. I will try the compressed air, but I find it hard to beleive that both floppy modules have the same problem and turn out to be dirty.

Oh, I read your post to mean that you tried the drive in two different laptops. If you meant two different drives then my post is off-mark.

Jock

two floppy drive modules, two laptops.

Are you trying to copy the same file to the floppy disk even when you changed the floppy disk?

Did you try copying a different file to them?

Did you try Formating the New floppy disk to see if you could do them?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

I tried formatting, but got the same error. I tried several file extension types. Dell recommended updating the chipset and that did not solve the problem either.

Will either machine boot from a 9x Startup Floppy to DOS, and if they do, can you copy/delete/rename anything on the Startup Floppy in DOS?

Have you tried your Floppy out in Safe Mode?

You have tried several Floppies, but have you tried a different brand of Floppy Disk?

Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or Not Recognized by Windows

You say you have checked the Bios, there was one member that had this problem (Thread is missing) who found a setting for Read-only (Floppy) in the Bios, perhaps you could try setting the Bios back to Safe Defaults?

Problem solved.

Registry write protect value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies\WriteProtect

DWORD value changed from 1 to 0, disable write protection.

The OS was a customized version of XP, retail version is defaulted to 0.

Thanks to all who replied...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back