Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

floats and absolute positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyshoes

Programmer
Jun 1, 2008
GB
I am trying to create a group of links each with a drop down box to create the following

lnk1 lnk2
Box1 Box2

The code I have devised works fine in Firefox but is a jumbled mess in ie (and maybe safari?)

I can achieve my desired effect without floats ( using just absolute and relative positioning) but I'm curious about what I am doing wrong

Code:
<style>
.dropdown { float:left; }
.dropdownlink  {position:relative;padding-left:5px;}
.listitem { position:absolute }
</style>

<div class="dropdown">
	<div class="dropdownlink">lnk1
		<div class="listitem">Box1</div>
	</div>
</div>

<div class="dropdown">
	<div class="dropdownlink">lnk2
		<div class="listitem">Box2</div>
	</div>
</div>

Hi

Usually no much good results from the combination of [tt]float[/tt] and [tt]position[/tt]. Why are using those [tt]position[/tt]s anyway ? For me it looks good without them too. ( Tested just in FireFox, I have no Explorer. )

Feherke.

I'm trying to create drop down menus on each link in a navigation menu. I thought I'd use absloute positioning to stop divs lower on the page getting pushed down. Am i going about this the wrong way?

Well here's the solution, works in IE7 and FF
I'm thinking of using this to create a navigation bar with drop down menus for each link
But is it good practice to mix floats and absolute positioning like this?

Code:
<style>
.dropdown { float:left;padding-left:5px; }
.listitem { position:absolute;}
</style>

<div class="dropdown">
	<div>Lnk1</div>
	<div class="listitem">123</div>
</div>

<div class="dropdown">
	<div>Lnk2</div>
	<div class="listitem">456</div>
</div>

Thanks for the tip. Well it looks like you CAN use floats with absolute positioning when creating drop downs this way, so I was on the right track!

If you have Dreamweaver Try Spry Menu Bar its easy, tableless, and have a option whether you want it vertical or horazontial. The scripting and css is done for you but you can customize the style to your websites layout.

Its just a couple clicks away and in a matter of seconds your nav is up and working.

Go to INSERT -> SPRY -> SPRY MENU BAR
at the top of your screen.

Customer Services,
Call Center Services,
IVR Services, Database Services and Web Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back