Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floating Cells in Word 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy1

Instructor
Dec 3, 2001
US
I have a document that contains several pages of text and a table located at the end of the last page. Throughout the text there are references to values that come from various cells in the table. What I need to do is link the cells references in the text to the cell contents in the table so that as I make changes to the table they will be reflected in the text.

WordPerfect used to have this covered with a feature called "Floating Cells". How can I accomplish this in Word 2002?

If you bookmark the actual text in the table, then go to where you want the reference and press CTRL F9. In the brackets type REF and then the name of the bookmark. This should reference the text you type in the table...

Have a look at Bookmarks in F1 help also...

Thanks, fryingman, I tried your recommendation but still can't get the referenced bookmark to update if I completely replace the original value in the table with a new value. Changing the value removes the bookmark and nothing gets updated in text part of the document. Any further suggestions?

Grumpy1,

Sorry for the delay, but I've been away....

If you make the cells in the table Text Form Fields, (right click on the toolbar to get the forms menu), then you can edit the properties of the form fields and give them bookmark names. Then ref these bookmarks as I described before and this should do it.

You'll have to manually update these fields though, unless you type the following code into your VB editor as a new macro:

Dim bkref As Bookmark
For Each bkref In ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
ActiveDocument.Fields.Update
Exit For
Next bkref

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back