Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flat FIle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahubba

Programmer
Mar 16, 2011
US
Hello,

I am doing a flat file and when I export the report to text the rows are cut off. Does anyone know how I can unwrapped these rows in crystal?

Which version of Crystal are you using? What is your page size set to?

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

There is a limit to how wide the text file can be. it seems to be tied in to the default printer page width.

For that reason I developed the Export UFL which lets you build a text or CSV file that can handle a larger number of output columns. Download a trial version from my web site.

Bruce Ferguson

Hi hilfy- I have the page size to 100 x 11 and when I export it I get a blank page.
I tried to export it to a CSV file but it unsupress my detail section and the file ends up being over 3gs and its too large for me to do anything with it.

Text exports do get truncated for no very clear reason. You need to adjust the report to stop this.

Some methods I've used successfully are:
a) Change the text to Courier for the Crystal display
b) Reduce text size
c) For Text export, set characters per inch to 20

PS. As hilfy said, it helps to give your Crystal version - 8, 8.5, 9, 10, 11 or whatever. Methods sometimes change between versions, and higher versions have extra options.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 11.5 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

Are the text fields in text boxes. These get truncated on export.
Make sure txt fields are placed directly onto the report. They are then exported in their entirety even if they are not displayed like that in report preview.

Ian

I am using crystal 11.

I have all of the columns in one large formula so I can add the pipes. I do no have a text box.

Formulas have size limits.

If you place all the database fields directly on the report they will export correctly. When exporting you can change the separator to be a pipe symbol if you like by chosing the CSV export option (by default it will use a comma).

Steve Phillips, Crystal Reports Trainer & Consultant

Hi SmpTraining

I tried that and the problem I ran into by doing that.. when I exported it my detail section unsupress.

Ah I see, sorry I should have read all the previous posts.

When you export the report, you are exporting the data rather than the screen you've designed (unless you choose an export option that tries to retain the formatting such as Word) therefore you will have a problem if you want to export just the summary data.

The usual solution would be to write the query for the report in SQL and to base the crystal report on that query. If you don't have access to the database to write Views, you can use Commands in crystal.

Steve Phillips, Crystal Reports Trainer & Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back