Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flashing on disk array in slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggrrr

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
US
We have a Compaq ProLiant 3000 and I noticed a beeping that started while I was doing my morning check today. I opened the Server Door and noticed slots 1 - 5 of the disk arrays were flashing green. 6 and 7 were not flashing at all. I had frankly never noticed any of them flashing, but now that I'd heard the beeping (which had already stopped) I was concerned that any were flashing at all. And as I began checking the Event Log I noticed that one of the remaining 2 arrays began flashing a red X. But then it stopped. This seemed to be an indication of a problem. Is it? And if so, how long does one have to swap out the drive? Will it eventually begin to flash continually? If it is a sign of trouble, should it also trigger an event in the Event Logs? And is the flashing green normal? If so, is it problematic that 2 (one of which was the one that shortly flashed red) are not flashing?

Thank you,

Juli

Read the manual for what flashing green means, but I had a Proliant 3000 and it was a yellow like that came on when the disk was down.

Do you have a spare drive that it may be trying to start up?

You definatly have something wrong.

As for changing a faulty hard drive, you basically have until another fails... but if another one fails, your array is toast.

You are basically no longer running in fault-tolerant mode.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Thank you! Trying to find where the guy before me put the manual.

Juli

Hope on the Compaq web page . They have all the manuals there.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

So I gave up on finding the manual and called Compaq. Silly me....the Red light had come on when I was in the Compaq Array management Utility....when I had clicked on that specific drive. Just imagine if I had looked over before I had selected a specific drive - they ALL flash red then! The flashing of green is a good thing, as well. They flash as the drive is being accessed. If it is a solid Red, that indicates failure. In the utility program, a failed drive would also have a Red X next to it.

Whew! Thank you again for your advice.

Happy Friday.

Juli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back