Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flashing Led on sony dvd burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

collilia

Technical User
Aug 6, 2002
Hi All

Whilst burning a cd on my sony dru500,nero stopped responding at about 7%.closing the application was unsuccessfull even with the taskbars end task.Had to hit the reset button.
Now the problem is that the led flashes orange constantly on power up of the pc and the bios doesn't recognise the drive correctly.The tray won't open from the eject button (had to use a paper clip to get my disc out).

Has anyone ever had this prob and is there any solution other than dumping the drive.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated
Liam.

Pull the data cable, and plug it back in (both ends). With all the spinning and head movement, they can vibrate loose. Also, make sure the master/slave jumper hasn't fallen off.

The dvd drive was originally a slave to another drive.
have already removed the other drive and connected the dvd drive on its own (changed jumper position).Now the the drive is connected as a secondary master.no difference here
but thanks for the input.

Liam.

dis the cable and reboot now shutdown pc and reconnect the cable and reboot and see if it works.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Have had the drive disconnected all day.
tried it again just a few minutes ago.
same.even disconnected hard drive and connected dvd drive to primary ide with a different cable.

unfortuneatly I think it's time to check out ebay.

Yep, it appears that the drive is hosed. You may want to at least try it in another PC before going out and making another purchase. Plus, there may still be some kind of limited warranty on it (give Sony a call).

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back