Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash software on NETBuilder 222 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

noratx

Technical User
Feb 25, 2006
SE
Hi!

In an attempt to recover some passwords i tried erase the flash and update the software. Now i have a router that won't boot. The README file that came with the software says:
"To create a NETBuilder Remote Office software diskette:
(1) Using the DOS Format utility, format an
High Density (HD) diskette in your 1.44 floppy drive.
(2) If the image has a .ZIP extension, use PKUNZIP to
unarchive the files.
If the image has a .EXE extension, execute this
self-extracting file.
(3) Copy the unarchived files onto the floppy drive.
For example, to copy the files to A: drive, type
"copy boot.68k a:"
"copy sys a:"
". But i don't understand how creating a floppy with the software can help me. I tried to directly hook up my computer to the router so i could load the software from TFTP, but i don't get it to work. No matter if i connect to a switch or direct to my computer, it won't get linked.

If i connect to one of my cisco routers, it hooks up and get linked.

Can anybody please tell me how i should do to upload the software again.

Thank you!

PS. I'm sorry for my crappy explanations, my english isn't that good. DS.

Been a while since I've seen one but on the left side should be a hole that you'll see a momentary push switch in. Poke it with a paperclip while in a telnet session and you'll be able to set it up to recieve a boot.68k file via tftp. You'll first need to specify the tftp server address and assign the router an address. I believe you just type ? at the > prompt to get a list of commands.

Iv'e done that and configured everything.
The problem is that when i do "FL" to get the flash image, it first formats the flash (which is ok), but then it searches for a BOOTP server.

After some struggeling i have got a bit forward.. Not i can get the router to boot form the network with the command "NB".
I have tried the command "NL" and it works to, is doesn't save the file to the flash though.
If i use "FL", it does only want to get the flash image from BOOTP, which i don't know how to configre.

How ever, i thought that when i boot via "NB" that i could set up the router and get the flash image from there, but no. I can set an IP address for the router, but nothing more. The interface won't get online.

And as son as i reboot the router, it starts to format the flash again without even asking me if i want to format.

System Reset

Resetting System

3Com Corporation NETBuilder Remote Office - SPMON Version 1.0.7
8192 Kilobyte(s) of RAM installed.
4096 Kilobyte(s) of Flash installed.
Flash file system tests passed.

Initiating image recovery sequence
HSS self tests passed.
Ethernet Controller test passed - Station Address - 080002005884
SCC Internal loopback tests passed.
Memory tests passed.

Formatting ................done.
3893760 bytes available.

It shouldn't format on a reboot. After pressing the button on the side there is a command in there that will allow you to configure it to format and load a boot.68k from tftp. The option for a bootp may be in the same spot so you'd need to delete the address for it if it has one. You could run 224AA boot.68k on there instead of 222AB. 222 is only a boundry router where 224 is internet router.

After some struggle i found out that 2 of the three dip-switches was wrong.I looked on my other netbuilder and when i put the dipswitchesso it matched my other router, it all worked as it should.
The only thing i have to do now is to figure out how to configure the WAN links between those routers...
I have 2 NETBuilders and 2 cisco routers that should be connected i know how to do on the cisco routers, but i havn't found any information about the netbuilders..

Is there any of you who have a link or something to any documentation about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back