Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

trent101

Programmer
Nov 4, 2005
AU
Ok,

I am creating a new site and have two questions:

1. The first is about my index page which is just one flash file. I am wondering is it possible to place a paragraph of text above it and color it the same as the bg so you cant see it, so that you will get indexed better in search engines? The reason I am asking is that I once read that some search engines can detect this.. The rest of my site is just plain html with lots of content so its only the index page which I will have problems with. Do you think my index page will hamper my results in search engines that much?

2. The second thing is when I tried to validate my html at w3.org i got some errors poiting to the way I inserted my flash file, it didnt like tags such as src, quality, plugins etc.... Is there a way to insert my flash object so that it validates? Or if not does it matter so much to have these errors there?

thanks for your time.

Hi

Flash was recently discussed in thread828-1235803 ( Flash & SEO ), please read that thread too.
trent101 said:
I am wondering is it possible to place a paragraph of text above it and color it the same as the bg so you cant see it, so that you will get indexed better in search engines?
Yes, is possible. Although it could be easily considered keyword flooding, in which case the site could be banned. But if you work to create that text content, then why you want to hide it ?
trent101 said:
i got some errors poiting to the way I inserted my flash file, it didnt like tags such as src, quality, plugins etc...
This is the description of the standard :

And here is an example :

If you want more help on this, you should either give us the URL or paste the code.

Feherke.

The long and the short of it is:
If you want some text to be indexed on the page and it's important to you AND you are concerned over whether it will be indexed properly from within a Flash file then don't use Flash for that content.

"Hiding" the text is not the answer and will possibly result in a penalty to your ranking.

As for putting the Flash file on the page in a standards compliant way. Read this:

<honk>*:O)</honk>
Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web site design in Cheltenham and Gloucester
Ham and Jam - British & Commonwealth forces mod for Half Life 2

Ok,

thanks for your help.

I have been surfing the net and have found two sies which are completely in flash, however they are getting ranked very well in google results.

the sites are:

and

I am just wondering what are these guys doing to get ranked so well, whe the entire site is in flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back