Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash problems in Citrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

boein

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
BE
I have an internet-application in flash that won't run on citrix/RDP, it only runs correctly when I log on on the same server as a LOCAL admin. Also when I create a new user in the domain and log on with that user via an RDP console, the application runs fine, when I log on with the same user the application does not run anymore, also when I log on again with that same user via RDP the application also doesn't run anymore, deleting the profile, homedrive doesn't help. So, once logged on with the user via citrix the application won't run anymore. As long as I log on via RDP there's no problem. The account also has domain admin rights so permission can't be the problem, anybody ideas?

Thanks
Boein

I specifically disable Flash on my servers because it is such a CPU and bandwidth hog.

Try uninstalling Flash, logon with a new administrator account that's never been used, switch to install mode (change user /install), install flash, launch and test flash, switch to execute mode (change user /execute).

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

I agree, flash consumes a lot of power of your Citrix servers but I need it. Also Flash seem to work, only in this case (this active-x application) it works partially. And the strange thing is that it works with newly created users, that haven't logged on via Citrix. So when they log on via RDP on the server there's no problem, when they log on via citrix-login it doessn't work, and when tey again log on via RDP it doesn't work either. Deleting the local user-profile, home-drive, re-installing flash doesn't seem to help. How is this possible, it's making me nuts.

I'd search the Citrix Suport site & forums for this. Might have something to do with the server side Flash Acceleration setting or client version, but I haven't experienced this before.

Patrick Rouse

I'd had and continue to have problems with a app using Flash. What version do you have installed that works Patrickrouse?

I told you earlier that I disable Flash on my Citrix Servers. It makes websites pretty, but if you have no business requirement for it, I see no reason to use it. Have you tried dealing with this flas problem on more than one server? Have you tried contacting Citrix, or disabling any Citrix Policies that might be causing this.

What version of Citrix and what kind and version of ICA client?

"I specifically disable Flash on my servers because it is such a CPU and bandwidth hog."

Patrick Rouse

Guys,

I dont't think it has to do with citrix policies because the same thing happens when logged on via RDP. Only a local admin doesn't have the problem, or a newly created user. I think it has to do with the user-profile being modified in some way although I do not understand why the problem remains after deleting everything from a user (homedrive, local profiles...) when the problem reoccurs after a logon via citrix. Am I still missing something here?

I'm using version 4 and the clients are version 9. I'm using a two server soloution, with SBS as the main server and a server with Citrix on the other. The app works on the SBS box and if access the Citrix box via the SBS, but it won't work via clients or if I directly run it on the Citrix box.

Help

If it runs as an administrator, but not as a non-proviliged user I'd try using regmon and filemon from sysinternals.com to see what those non-admins are trying to access that's being blocked.

Patrick Rouse

Already tried that but it's hopeless to find anything with regmon or filemon. Also, access control shouldn't be the problem because I'm only using local and domain-admin users.
It must be somewhere in the profile but haven't figured it out yet. Is the profile also cached somewhere on the server even after the local-profile for that user being deleted?

Tried them but they crashed the Citrix box every time I ran them.

Grimwaldi you have to be careful when running filemon and regmon, especially on a citrix server with a lot of users. Before running make sure to set a filter, otherwise regmon and filemon wil monitor everything, resulting in a crash because it's too much data to process in a short time.
Alway start regmon -o or filemon -o. This wil start the program without monitoring, so you can set your filter first and afterwards enabling monitoring.

Why are you using administrator accounts? Anything could be wrong with this system and local adminis can bypass anything you put in place to keep the server in a stable configuration.

Have you considered using a program like regshot to compare the registry entries before and after installation, and before and after first use?

Do you have a lab machine that you can test with, so you aren't using your production server's as guineapigs? MY preference would be to start with a fresh build of Windows Server, install TS, make a system image w/ Ghost or your imaging tool of choice, install Flash from the console w/ a local administrator account while in install mode, switch to execute mode and logoff, logon w/ a different local admini account and copy the first one over the Default User Profile via the system control panel, logon as a new non-admin user via Remote Desktop (not the console) and see if flash works, logoff, logon and test again. DO all of this w/o installing Citrix, w/o using any Group Policies, w/o roaming profiles and w/o making users local administrators (except for the account used to install flash). If all of that works, start adding things one at a time to see where it breaks, i.e. use a domain account, roaming profile, group policies, Citrix...

If it works, make another system image, so you have something to roll-back to if something else messes up your server config.

Patrick Rouse

I tried looking for that flash setting, but can't find it. I'm using "Citrix Access Essentials", what version should I be running to see these options. (Patrickhouse)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back