Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash MX 2004 XML data binding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLane2501

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
US
My goal is to create a system where multiple users receive information in a chat room style interface built in Flash. The part I'm having a hard time with is getting the server to 'push' information as it's received, rather than having the movie do a periodic request to the web server for new messages. The users will not be the only source of information, some messages will be automatically delivered to the web server from other sources. I'm still in planning, but the questions are essentially:

If a Flash movie data binds to an xml file on the server, is the Flash movie aware of any changes made to that file as they happen?

Do I need remoting or communication server for data binding to work like this?

Is there a fairly simple example where flash receives information 'pushed' from the server that I could pick apart?

Thanks in advance for your help.

flash has to request info from the server but this can be automated with calls as often as you require.....for your purposes id look into communication server if the project budget will stand it.

Thanks for the confirmation. Digging around a lot more on I found that communication server was probably the way to go for real time 2 way traffic. As far as budget goes, I've been asked to pitch the dirt cheap, sort of works version and the money is no object version. Communication server's definately going to be in the latter.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back