Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash Menu - Highlight Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmast

Programmer
Dec 21, 2001
IN
Plz help me, I have been wondering whether this is possible...

Imagine I am doing a simple flash menu.

-----------------
Home
-----------------
Page 1
-----------------
Page 2
-----------------

Now when I am in homepage I would like Home Page to be highlighted. When I click on to go to the next page (ex: Page 1) that one must be highlighted. Is it possible to do this using only one .swf file? If so howz it done...

Thanx in advance...

Is this a linear (on the timeline...) menu, or a scripted one? Using getURL to call the other pages?

I will be using getURL to call other pages. Its kind of a very simple flash menu, (ex: onMouseOver the color changes, thats all)

I want to use the same menu on all pages with the appropriate page link highlighted.

Hi,

No replies to my query? Isnt it not possible at all?
Can anyone help me with any other solution plz...

Tommcat.

Of course it is possible.

What have you done so far? How is your page structured? Frames? Post your code and/or your .fla and someone here will gladly help you.

Hi pixl8r,

I am using a plain HTML page (no frames)... where the flash navigation will be on the left side.

I will be having six links and each link must be highlighted differently & non-clickable when we are on the respective page.

Tommcat

Hi Webmast

If I understand you, you want the button coresponding to the page you are on to be a different colour and non-selectable.

I would use a movieclip instance for the navigation with 2 layers. The bottom layer just holding all the visual parts (words etc.)with a frame to show the 2 states for each menu item. The top layer for individual invisible buttons with the current selection missing over the selected item.

Then just use goto(frame) and put the GetUrl in the timeline.

Does that make any sense at all?

FC

You will need to set up some javascript to communicate back and fourth between the flash movie and the html page. That way when you click on the page and the html loads for say "page 2", page two javascript passes a variable to flash and shows the highlighted menu item for that page.

Or use frames.

A reference for setting up the communication is below. This example is for using tha back button, but you can get the idea how to make flash and the browser communicate:

----------------------------------------

Thanx coldfused,

You really got my point & what I was looking at.
I have gone thru the link u had provided and will try to do some R&D on it.

If you can any way help me further on the code that I must exactly put in, it will be very helpful...

Anyway thanx for helping me out...

Regards,
Tommcat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back