Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flash loadMovie and streaming time !!! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopydo

MIS
Jul 11, 2002
DE
hi everyone,
i am new to this forum but desperate with a question.

i made my site in flash and uploaded it to only discover that i am unsatisfied ...

... to keep file size small and, as i thought, download time fast, each of my buttons load a different swf with loadMovie (in level 0, to replace what is there).

now, if i can make myself clear on whats the problem: well, as i understood, get url will create a little delay, and loadMovie should work in a heart beat. but, if i press a button, everything goes blank (except my background color) and it takes 5 sec for the movie to load. whats up with that.

every movie to load is at max 30 kb in size and should it not be there right away. is there a trick, do i have to redo everything or give up on flash all together?

thanks for any help and understanding
bye

give up on flash all together!

just kidding..your killing your main movie before the next one has time to load..do this:

put your main movie in a one frame movie clip..stop action..add a blank second frame, stop action..name that mc "home"..leave you navigation out of the main clip..it should stay on the main time line at all times..now create blank dummy movie clips for each movie you will load in..name them accordingly..you have to place those blank clips directly on the far top left corner of your main movie's stage..0" and 0" ..now in the first frame of your main movie use the loadmovie command to call all those movie's to there appropriate clips..then for each button in the nav you will call the appropriate mc and at the same time close the previous..

anyways i hope that makes sense..that's how i do it..and as long as you have enough content on your "home" mc to delay the user for about 10-15 seconds you should be ok, all the clips will be there when called..and on return to your site if they click right through to a different page it will already be cached, so it will load instantly..

we hope!

have fun..

ps: i'm sure theres a better way, but there will always be that few second blink when your loading movies replacing the other, this is how i work it out..
logo.gif

carlsatterwhite@orlandomediasolutions.com

sorry forgot to mention..each loaded movie should have a blank first frame with a stop action..all the content in the second frame with a stop action..buttons action on the main timeline would be :

on (press) {
_root.company.gotoAndStop(2);
}

that would call the company clip and send it to frame two of the loaded clip..the content frame..

just add a conditional statement to close the previous clip before you call that one..

"company" would be an example of you mc name..

logo.gif

hey virt 2002,

i dont want to praise you to be my hero of the day before "everything" is working. 'cause i only had time to fix one of the buttons, which is working in regarts to your awesome advice. no major delay and my animation works right when i click. (my navigations is rather tricky, changing when a button is pressesd

so hopefully, in the next couple of hours/days i will fix the rest and keep you updated about the progress.

thanks so much, ... maybe there is a chance that i will not give up on flash ...

PLEASE keep up your work in this forum, seems at least some people know what they are talking about !!!

appreaciate your time. thanks !!!

your welcome..
logo.gif

... time to bother some people again ...

ok virt 2002,
things work here, it looks AWESOME so far. as you are familiar w/the prob one question that keeps coming up !!!

HOW DO I "TARGET" or call a loadMovie to its appropriate spot (MC):-(. i got around the issue initially, cause' copied/paste it in the MC's and instead of loading various 40 kb swfs (!!!), inclueded them in the "mainfile" (its still only 50 kb (go figure) to load, so works for me.

i tried using:

loadMovie ("projectlogos.swf", "logos");

and my untrained script brain tells me, SHOULD WORK.
projectlogos.swf is the loadMovie and "logos" the mc it should be in, (but its not, or doesnt want to be).

please help, guess the target mc is wrong or so. i call it w/your

on (release) {
_root.logos.gotoAndPlay(2);
}

and do the first frame empty, 2nd the content etc.,
any, hero for today suggestions ????

million +1 appreciated ...thanks.:)

at my moms right now..checking my mail..when i get home in a few i will get you through it..

back in a while..
logo.gif

your frame actions should be:

loadMovie ("projectlogos.swf", "_root.logos");

make sure you name the instance of that blank mc on the main timeline logos..

logo.gif

THANX for your fast reply,
works and looks great, until the next prob, i guess ...

I have a solution for you .
create 2 blank movie clips. one where u will load movie to display. Onother where u will load movie in advance .
I an currently working for similer project where i am having around 500 slides . i made saparete swf for each slide.i am continously loading swf on second movie whos y coordinate is out of stage ,it is an array from which i am loading new movie as previous loads.so it comes to cache.so if user demands for any slide ,since it is in cache it loads immedietly.i have written functions one for background loading and on for displaying the slides.
If not clear pls revert back.
manojpawar_us@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back