Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash in email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitneyb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2000
US
Hi. I am a newbie to the list - and to Flash. My boss is telling me that it is possible to add Flash to an email (the picture or movie or whatever automatically appears in the text of the mail and reader doesn't have to click a web link to get there). She's sent me examples (but, having aohell, I can't view it correctly).

Anyone hear of this and have any idea where I can go to get more information?

Many thanks!
Whitney

Get a good email client, get away from aol, use outlook or something else that supports html decorated email. Then you can do it.

Thanks roesingape... I knew there must be a way - can you point me to a site or book or another person that can help me figure this all out?

I think what roesingape meant, but since you are brand new to this it might not have been clear to you, is that when you publish your .swf files and you select to publish the HTML file with it, you then just need to attach the HTML file to your email.

There are so many great books on Flash, but a good place to begin to familiarize yourself---besides this forum---are websites like: FlashPlanet; Flash Zone; FlashLite; etc. From any of these sties there are links to many others, and almost all contain a tutorials section, as well as FAQ pages and basic resource materials.

You can even find user's opinions of which is the better 'book' to use....I own five of them myself.....and they all seem to be a little different from one another, and take differing approaches to the same interface issues. Flash is not a simple interface, and can be really frustrating to get started with. Adobe's LiveMotion 1.0 has a much easier to use interface design, but unfortunately lacks the power Flash has to 'convert to symbol' and reduce the file size for export.

In a 'perfect' virtual world, wouldn't it be nice if we could take the best features of these programs and combine them for the ultimate user's version?! But, alas, it's
not a perfect world, it's a proprietary, non-standardized world, and that's the way it goes.

Good luck with your 'flashy' emails....

Thanks for your educational comment Hohriver, but I think that what Whitney wants is to add .swf files INSIDE the email and not attached.

This is possible but, as roesingape said, you need a good email client that supports HTML rich format. Outlook Express works fine. Eudora is good too.

Once you have the email client, just insert the .swf in the emai.

Cheers.

Using Outlook. Insert the flash html file into the programfiles/common files/microsoft shared/stationary folder.

Make sure that you change the tags of the movie to point to an HREF that is somewhere on the web.

This sets the html page as the background to the email, and it pulls the files need from the web where you've stored them.

Remember to make a button or a link though, for those who can't view rich text files, that will open the same html file somewhere out on the web.

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back