Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash Forms for multipage form submission

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamboo

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
I will be developing a multi-page form for the first time and was wondering if Flash Forms would be the recommended way to go or if I should go a different route. I read a handful of past threads and learned there were some problems with the file upload as well as with the checkboxes. These threads were from 05 however. My forms will consist of a little of everything, multi-select dropdowns, yes/no checkboxes, basic text inputs, file upload. User will be able to update the form as well if needed. There will be 6 forms. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks.

Last time i played around with flash forms i found them great but really frustrating. I tried to do some multi lingual stuff with file uploads and just couldn't get them to work.

When flash forms came out flash player didn't support uploads, so the cffile tag is ignored within a flash form. hopefully this will be fixed in scorpio! Although those nice people over at asfusion have come up with this( but I never managed to get it working in our dev environment using FuseBox

regarding multi selects and checkboxes. I managed to get these working as expected. The multi selects from memory behaved, but a checkbox within a repeater didn't do what i expected. if you assign it a value, the value isn't returned for the checked state as with html. it will return true. so you have to loop over the info to find out what was set as true and what to ignore. also the checked attribute is ignored i seem to remember for checkboxes. so if you want to show the user what they selected the last time they used the form, nothing will be shown.

If i were you I'd wait for scorpio to be launched and see what MacDobe have fixed/broken and make your decision then

Hope this helps!
Tony

I recently finished a project in which I used a Flash Form for a multi-page form, and even incorporated the file upload from the link give by DeadlyViper. Likewise, I found a lot of neat features, but really frustrating to get everything laid out and working. However, once I did, it worked great and I didn't have any problems.

My only complaint is that the form takes forever to load, and sometimes the user is sitting there looking at a blank screen for several seconds before the "initalizer" even shows up. And, if it's having to recompile, it takes forever for a link to even connect to the page and bring it up.

If you want to take a look at it, it's in the "Virtual KidCard" section of this website:
Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

Thanks all for the information. My co-worker tried building a simple flash form and said he never got it to work properly. I believe he ran into similar issues you've stated above. Anyhow after talking few other developers in the company I decided to go the session variable route as we've done this with another multi-form app and it works fine.

IMHO Flash is grandmaster overkill for an info form. The moment I see "Loading..." whatever, I'm outta there.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back