Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flash design contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

oculus

Programmer
May 3, 2001
US
Hello, everyone.

I have a question on handling contracts concerning source code. I'm dealing with a client concerning a flash-based web site. They have a team of people deliberating over my standard design contract. The one member who is most technically savvy insists they own the copyrights to the site; my typical arrangement is to keep copyrights and transfer usage rights to teh client. As a compromise, they want to have me put the source code in escrow in a bank, who will release it back to me should I need it for further redesign, etc. Considering that Flash often contains programming styles and tricks that are not common knowledge, I'm a little concerned.

I have two questions:

1) has anyone ever heard of this before (having a third party hold the source code)? Is this common?

2) how do YOU handle flash source code for paying clients? Who holds the copyright?

Thanks for any tips or advice you can offer.

Oculus.

Well we don't deal with Flash Source that much but we do deal with Security Software which, just like your issue, is very secure and the source is not available. If our clients have a problem with this we tell them that if we go under the source is theirs and we will make it free to them. As for a third party escro.. I have hear of this but have never used it.

Eric Repec

Eric Repec
eric@ericrepec.com
If its not broke try it make it faster.....

Eric:

Thanks for that. I like the option of making the source code available if we go under, and we will probably approach it like that.

Thanks again.

Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back