Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flash bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonniejoejonson

Programmer
Nov 6, 2006
GB
I have a user based site. If the users types in
that persons profile will appear in the embedded profile.swf. Using php this swf extracts the username from the url and loads the relevant data.

If they click on another persons profile from within their profile a new window will open with this persons profile.

However what I don't want is for each time a new window is opened for the profile.swf to be redownloaded... as this is a waste of my bandwidth and the users time. I do however want the new profile to be opened in a new window.

Does a computer automatically know that it is trying download something that it has already downloaded becuase on my tests generally after the first profile.swf has loaded it seems to load the other profile pages in new windows almost instantly? I assume that is beacuase it has profile.swf in the cache memory???, however does the new download still take place? as I don't want to waste bandwidth. thanks in advance to any responders. Jonnie.

That is what I thought, I just don't want to be downloading a 300k swf file each time a new html page is opened, if it is using the same swf, but with diff vars. Thanks for the response. Jonny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back