Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash animation is not so smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusc

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
SI
Hi, all!
I have a problem with my animation in flash. I prepared all pictures in PS6.0 *.jpg. In animation are not very smooth.What kind of format is the best for pictures which will be included in flas animation.

Thank you and BR, Marjan

try increasing your frames per second by two or three fps..see what happens..might clean it up a little..
logo.gif

carlsatterwhite@orlandomediasolutions.com

Isn't the frame rate ultimately dependent on the speed of hardware inside your machine and how much the screen has to redraw?

I did a screen saver with the same technique. I used jpg as well, and full screen on my machine it ran a little jerky but on my partner's machine it ran liquid smooth. I'm runnin' a Celeron 550 ATI rage pro 16Mb video. I believe she's runing a 900 with a Magnum Xpert card 16mb I think.

Could it be a hardware issue as well? The FlashGuy :)

paul.Dwinell@MitekCorp.com
Mitek Corporation

Hardware definitely has an effect on animation performance but the Flash player can deal with a surprising amount of information before it begins to slow down noticeably so you can usually up your framerate to get a smoother look to your movies (I find I can usually get away with at least 30 fps without too much bother).

If things are playing slow here are some things which may help...

1) If you're using a lot of bitmap images (like imported jpegs etc) try and get them down to the smallest file size you can. In some cases you can use >trace bitmap to convert them to vector images which are more efficient and therefore faster. This sometimes backfires though and really complex images are best left in their original format. Try pushing up the contrast in Photoshop too which drops a bit of detail and helps to reduce filesize, a very slight blur (1 pixel) can be added too which makes a big difference to jpeg filesize without compromising your image greatly.

2) If you're using vector shapes they draw faster if they don't have a stroke outline.

3) If you're playing with the alpha transparency settings things will visibly slow down when you animate multiple images. This is because Flash has to work out what's on the background layer, then what's in the foreground and perform calculations to mix the images: much harder than placing one image directly over another. If you're animating against a black or white background use >brightness to simulate fades because it's much more efficient.

4) Gradient fills take longer to draw than solid colours.

5) Macs are weird about framerate - you have to set it at least 31fps to get smooth performance.

Best way to get pics into flash:

- copy from pShop and paste into flash. Then flash can handle the compression (you choose!)You can also select clipboard settings...

Moving bitmaps may always be jerky depending on what you want to make them do!

- it is dependant on hardware
- higher (30_ frame rates help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back