Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash alternative? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

toydoc4

Programmer
Apr 25, 2002
US
I've recently been given the responsiblity of handling my company's Web site. The previous developer has used a lot of Flash in the site(I have no experience with Flash...YET). I've been asked if there is any way to display some alternate text or image if a visitor to our site does not have Flash on their system(and does not want to download it)?

Thanks to anyone who could offer me some enlightenment on this matter.

aside from building 2 versions of the site, there is no way. flash dosen't downgrade for those without the plugin. but you try saving all your swf files as low versions of flash, this way they woulden't need the latest plugin, but they would still need something.

Well,

There is always the more simple Flash style programs, names escape me currently, but I know Coffee Cup software makes one. However, these programs still do export in the .swf format, which would call for the Flash player.
The only other way that I know of getting around the .swf format is to start posting the much bulkier animated .gifs and java scripts, which offer the kind of operability that Flash does. The upside is you don't need the Flash player. The downside is they are horrendously time consuming to load, which can slow a DU connection to a standstill.
My reccommendation would be to stick with Flash, because all the browsers that I am familiar with (IE, Netscape, Opera) offer some sort of Flash compatibility, and have for several versions. Not only that, but it makes for a more streamlined, quick-loading, and professional looking website.
There's my two cents. Anything I missed, ladies and gents?

Doc Blunt
"..and Winter gave Spring and Summer amiss, and went directly into Autumn."

Thanks for the quick response. Two sites? Sounds like job security.

You said "sounds like job security", which I translate as "sounds like a lot of work". *grin*

Well, it depends on how you are doing the site. For example, when I do flash sites, I use PHP and MySQL, just like i normally do. The way flash interfaces with PHP is not very difficult, so i just build a couple of functions that allow me to use the same basic processes for both versions of the site.

For example:

scriptA takes a var (myVar) if present, and turns a flash flag on.

scriptA takes a username.

scriptA checks the database to see if the person is a user.

scriptA generates a responce calling function "htmlLogin" to generate the appropriate message. however, if the flash flag (from line 1) is on, it calls "flashLogin" which returns the data to the flash movie in just a slightly differnt way.

now you can actually maintain an HTML page and a flash page at the same time.

more work than just HTML or Flash, but not too much more.

cheers,
dan

You want the best and the brightest...your end users have to have the software to handle it.

And whether people like it or not, Windows (since 95) has come with flash pre-installed on it (unless the user chose custom while installing the OS and took it off...which I highly doubt) Only problem is it's Flash 3...so I dont see why people have a problem with getting flash 5.

You might check out XML or something along those lines, but again, the end user needs to have everything that runs what you put up. I've had that problem with my companies 2 sites...someone emailed us saying they didn't want to download the flash player, and they couldn't view our website.......well.....too bad. I'm not spending 2yrs developing something that might resemble flash but isn't nearly as interactive, etc.

Thats the problem with the big computer boom we had a couple years back...computers become obselete every 2-3 years...and people dont upgrade software, or hardware...they think they're computer is timeless...then complain when they realize its vintage. and isn't as good as the new fuel injected models w/ 2ghz of horsepower...=) Regards,
Anth:cool:ny

Again, thanks for the responses and I appreciate the breadth of insight this forum offers a developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back