Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash 4-port problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthursim

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2000
CA
We have a Modular ICS system installed with expansion to accomodate 4 extra lines, for a total of 12 lines. We also have a 4-port flash system, which I have verified by opening my unit and seeing the "4" for myself. :)

The installer that put this system together for us installed the ports to port 130 (ext 250) and port 131 (ext 251). I've been doing lots of reading here lately and as far as I can tell, everything sounds good so far. Dialling ext 250 gets right into VM and dialling 251 give a busy signal.

It seems to me that only two of the ports is functioning. To test my theory, I did F981 very quickly on two sets with no problem...on the third set, it tells me that Flash is busy. This seems like a two-port setup.

Would there be some programming (either in Flash or on the system itself) that's not done properly here? Just so you know, the installer and I did not agree on his billing precisely because of mistakes like this and we're still refusing to pay a portion of his bill.

Any help would be much appreciated.

first of all let me say I disagree with the concepts of finding any excuses not to pay the installer.Anyway,you can dial the first ext of the VM directely and it should answer,but you can't call(dial)the second ext it will give you a busy signal.To test the VM you should dial Feat 981 from 4 phones in the same time ,and you should be able to access the Vm as long as nobody else in the VM.In the system the ext of the VM( ext 130,131)should be either in a group if you have MICS 4.0 or higher or you can forward each extension to the other ext (under capability call forward no answer and on busy)130 forward to 131,and 131 forward to 130.

Good Luck.

Although samh is suggesting you to call fwd 130 to 131, you should not have to do this. The norstar will do this on it's own, but I guess you can try this for testing purposes.

Any Flash can be verified as a 4 channel (the real name instead of port) by checking to see if the expansion board is in place and what the software version is - which is written on the PCMCIA card.
In defence of installers, let me state it is not an uncommon occurrance for a bad connection to occurr when installing these direct RJ11 devices. THEY ARE A PAIN. Often the disconnect happens after testing just as you slam the cover home.
In no way should this forum be used or considered as an appropriate venue to check the abilities or honesty of technicians or installers. Care must be exorcised by both equipment vendor, their technicians, purchasers and IT support personel not to use this forum as a means to gather information for any reason other than to enhance their own skill with the Norstar.

PhM

You can also try calling your AA and seeing if it picks up on four lines - that's what I do to test.

If you are not happy with the finished product, then I see no problem holding back part of the payment until the job is finished completely and correctly. So what if the cabinet knocks loose the connection - it shows a shoddy, failure-prone installation right there. People who are paid a job should take pride in their work and guarantee the results to the customer's satisfaction.

Oh yeah, I forgot, customer service is dead.

-Wayne

authursim,

When you open the FLASHTALK VM cover.....I would first power the unit down and check the snap in 4 port Cartridge....I have seen some have the 4 on the front cover, yet be a dummy or blank piece with no snap in components. Yet, if you snap this piece off and it has right connections.....should be a 4 port when you snap it back in with the power off to the unit. Next take the line cord that is plugged into each port, unplug and plug directly into a Norstar Telephone to check port Status of KSU......Feature * 0 and then press intercomn to check ports status. Lets try this for starters....when you check Feature 981 from four different telephones an get voicemail prompts...thats good like person said above.....

You want to do this when telephone traffic to VM is minimal and you can track four sets....You could Put both Vm ports on a set as an internal autodial and watch them when you dial them (Feature * 2, Press a button, Intercom # 251, 252
)

justa few to try

WIP

Arthur,
Should also have sugested you look in Maintenance and see if the KSU can detect the Flash on all channels. The maint screen for the ports are selectable using the DNs 250 and 251 in your case.
Down the post list there are a lot of posts on trouble shooting Flash.

PP - you must have had some bad experiences with installers and techs?

PhM

First off, I am amazed and thankful for the quick replies.

As per your suggestions this what I have tested so far:

-in Maintenance, both ports show IDLE rather than unequipped, so it would seem that the KSU is hooked up properly.
-I F981 on two units, and on the third I get "Flash Busy"

Q: should the ext 250 be set to fwd on busy to 251 on the KSU?

So far no luck in the search for the problem...

Thanks again everyone! Not that I feel that I must defend my actions, but as far as holding back payment from the vendor...I've held back about 15% since the job was not completed properly and I've had to troubleshoot and fix MANY issues on my own..i.e. I picked an installer who couldn't or wouldn't do the job properly. PP I agree that customer service is dead and I refused to pay the full amount when I had to put in so much work myself.

You should not call forward 250 to 251. Star Talk should do this for you. In no particular order...
You may wish to power down and try resetting the daughter board.
Ensure that the ports are idle on both B channels.
Change the physical DNs say 248 and 249 and see if the problem persists. A bad port is not an unknown.
Reboot Star Talk.
Reboot System.

Just some basic things to try before starting to look at boot records and alarm codes.

Two last points on the vendor issue. 1. I guarrantee you customer service is not dead. 2. I agree that you must conduct your relations with your equipment provider as is appropriate for the situation. But my point is that this forum should not be a discussion place for it.

PhM

PhM, thanks again for your suggestions. Will powering down the VM cause me to lose all my programming/mail boxes? How about powering down the MICS?

Arthur

Arthur,
Simply powering down SHOULD not cause any loss of data in either Flash or KSU except perhaps the KSU hour time. If you remove the daughter board from the Flash and reboot as a two channel Vmail it is most likely you will lose data. When I removed the daughter boards from Flashes, I was not looking for the original data so didn't observe 100%. Just assume data loss here. If you don't lose data you win. If you remove expansion cards from the KSU you will lose data.

PhM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back