Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flash 0 border

Status
Not open for further replies.

disfasia

Programmer
Apr 20, 2001
CA
I need help putting the following text into my default.html document so that ALL of my pages are without any border.:

<BODY MARGINWIDTH=&quot;0&quot; MARGINHEIGHT=&quot;0&quot; LEFTMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; RIGHTMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; TOPMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; BOTTOMMARGIN=&quot;0&quot;>

I tried this already but flash automatically redid the default.html page with a backup...Can anyone please walk me through this?

Thanks in advance,

Julian

just go ahead and enter those parameters in the html that flash makes for you --

Then, go to the publish settings, and uncheck the html option, so that from now on, when you publish your swf, it only publishes the swf, not the html, and your modified page stays intact --

Everything should be fine, then.

:)
Paul Prewett

Where do I put this in html? I tried using the default.html but flash does not let me (or i am doing something very wrong). please let me know where and how it goes into the flash document...and which one?

thanks so much!

julian

HTML pages are made up of a few basic tags...

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Instead of <BODY>..... make it <BODY MARGINWIDTH=&quot;0&quot; MARGINHEIGHT=&quot;0&quot; LEFTMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; RIGHTMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; TOPMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; BOTTOMMARGIN=&quot;0&quot;>

All the other stuff added inside the <BODY> tag are called attributes.

Your <BODY> tag will probably look like this:

<BODY BGCOLOR=&quot;f6f6f6&quot;>

just make it:

<BODY BGCOLOR=&quot;f6f6f6&quot; MARGINWIDTH=&quot;0&quot; MARGINHEIGHT=&quot;0&quot; LEFTMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; RIGHTMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; TOPMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; BOTTOMMARGIN=&quot;0&quot;>

the BGCOLOR is another attribute that teels it what color to make the background of the page.

There are tons of attributes that can be added to each tag to define properties of the web page.

Ya' Gotta Love It!
sleepyangelsBW.jpg

I did this, but flash keeps overriding what i put in...i save adn then flash builds its own doc every time i publish ignoring the code. i am going nuts over this...is there a file i ought to dump before working in flash after editing the html code?

thanks again

Also, I forgot to mention, where do i change the html --in the default.html or in the document. i am really losing my mind because i keep getting an error message and i lost the default.html doc because flash will not let me alter it. and what should my settings be for the publish settings? is this confusing the code?

thanks again...

julian

what you should do is upload the html to your server..go to the site with internet explorer..goto view > source..it will open up the html code that flash published for you..copy and paste that code into notepad..make your changes in note pad and save as what ever you like to name it..go back to your server dump the html that flash published for you and import your new one with the changes..everything will still be the same except for the marginwidth that you added..should do the trick..well atleast it works for me..could be an easier way but that is how i make changes..
e.gif

virtuality2001@aol.com

go to flash/publish settings and uncheck the html option. Ya' Gotta Love It!
sleepyangelsBW.jpg

sorry... that should be file/publish settings Ya' Gotta Love It!
sleepyangelsBW.jpg

What is happening is this: Flash needs to be embedded into a web page. It being the smart and logical software that it is creates this HTML file for you. Basically it just references the .swf file so as long as the flash file is not renamed you never need to republish the HTML file.

It is saving the HTML file to wherever your Flash file is saved at. If your settings are set to use the default file naming then it will be &quot;flash file name&quot;.html with flash file name being whatever you named your Flash file.

you can uncheck &quot;default file names&quot; in File/Publish Settings and change this naming convention to anything you like. Ya' Gotta Love It!
sleepyangelsBW.jpg

hi disfasia

Might not be exactly what you're after, but you could use this option. the following is taken from Flash Help, I use this method for each project I work on and haven't had any problems with it:

1 Using an HTML editor, open the Flash HTML template you want to change, located in the Macromedia Flash 5/HTML folder.

2 Edit the template as needed. To use the default values, leave the variables empty.
For information on variables supported in Flash, see the following table.
For information on creating an image map or a text or URL report, or to insert your own values for OBJECT and EMBED parameters, see the sections for those topics, following this procedure.

3 When you have finished editing the variables, save the template in the Macromedia Flash 5/HTML folder.
Flash saves the modified template with the Flash movie's file name and the template extension. For example, saving a template named Standard.asp for publishing a Flash movie named MyMovie.swf produces a template named MyMovie.asp.

4 To apply the template settings to your Flash movie, choose File > Publish Settings, select the HTML panel, and select the template you modified.
Flash changes only the template variables in the template selected in the Publish Settings dialog box.

5 Choose your remaining publishing settings, and click OK. For more information, see Publishing Flash movies.

dave
davdesign@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hi disfasia

Might not be exactly what you're after, but you could use this option. the following is taken from Flash Help, I use this method for each project I work on and haven't had any problems with it:

1 Using an HTML editor, open the Flash HTML template you want to change, located in the Macromedia Flash 5/HTML folder.

2 Edit the template as needed. To use the default values, leave the variables empty.
For information on variables supported in Flash, see the following table.
For information on creating an image map or a text or URL report, or to insert your own values for OBJECT and EMBED parameters, see the sections for those topics, following this procedure.

3 When you have finished editing the variables, save the template in the Macromedia Flash 5/HTML folder.
Flash saves the modified template with the Flash movie's file name and the template extension. For example, saving a template named Standard.asp for publishing a Flash movie named MyMovie.swf produces a template named MyMovie.asp.

4 To apply the template settings to your Flash movie, choose File > Publish Settings, select the HTML panel, and select the template you modified.
Flash changes only the template variables in the template selected in the Publish Settings dialog box.

5 Choose your remaining publishing settings, and click OK. For more information, see Publishing Flash movies.

forgot to mention, when you insert the code you mentiond above into the template, enter it as you've written above and don't try and find $xx equivalents (too much bother). Notice that in teh &quot;default&quot; html the body tags are as follows:

<BODY bgcolor=&quot;$BG&quot;>

The $BG tag makes sure that the html background matches the background in your movie. This line with your code would look like:

<BODY bgcolor=&quot;$BG&quot; MARGINWIDTH=&quot;0&quot; MARGINHEIGHT=&quot;0&quot; LEFTMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; RIGHTMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; TOPMARGIN=&quot;0&quot; BOTTOMMARGIN=&quot;0&quot;>

Note that this option is only good if you're publishing a lot of movies to HTML to your own spec containing repeated code as above. It might not be the solution to your problem, but I thought I'd point out the option anyway.

dave
davdesign@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Visit the macromedia extension web site and search for an extension called something like 'no border' the extension will include a category in the dropdown menu on the html publish settings that eliminate borders all together. Good extention. 'go to extensions' and search.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I was able to finally get the border removed adn then, on the last tip from dave, I was able to download the extension which is the easiest of all solutions since in the future i never ever have to put in that code ...the extension is called remove margin and you can get it at macromedia's site.

thanks again all!

julian vigo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back