Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fixing a bad firmware flash for DVD burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman2654

Programmer
Jul 9, 2003
CA
I was trying to fix some problems with my Sony dw-u10a (OEM version of DRU-500A) DVD-/+R ....

Something went wrong because everytime I start my comptuer up it just restarts after you hear the windows sound. (I'm Running win2k). I took out the drive and it boots normally now. My drive is detected in the BIOS. Any suggestions?

Well my experience with badly flashed drives is their toast.
My router was flashed but the power went out during the time it took the router was toast.
Sorry mate looks like your gunna b on the phone to the old man at sony askin for a replacement

thanks, so that does mean my OEM drive still has tech support? coz i thought it didn't......

Ah didnt see that well depending on its age it may be coverd but i dont think it will be

Also make sure you turn off the Blue screen and Reboot feture in the 2k Right click my computer properties then advanced then startup&recovery uncheck the Automatically Restart. See what the BS is about

lol yes that's exactly it. I only did it because whenever i tired to burn DVDs it would become coasters so after reading about this (similar article) I thought it would help a lot

golcpl, i did what u suggested and i got a STOP error. Something to do with the cdr4_2k.sys file. Does that mean my current firmware is bad? or the file is bad?

If it was just making coasters before, it's probably a bad drive.

Jim

Jim, my drive burnt CDs perfectly though. And everyone good news, i got to work now. It turned out to be a system driver error. Golcpl, I wouldn't have been able to find the problem without your help, thank you. As I was saying, I had some Easy CD creator issues in the past and I never fixed them so I did some research and found out that the driver file was related to his product. I got this called Roxiozap and it removed all the related files. My drive is now a working DRU-500A :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back