Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fixed IP and DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2002
CA
Small network with two workgroup servers and 30 workstations currently using DHCP for all IP addresses. The mappings from the workstations to the servers seem slow after a reboot.

Would this help --> Assign fixed IP addresses to all the workstations and servers and let the server with the main application also work as a DNS server?

Is there a down side to trying this?

All servers should have a static IP.

DHCP should be on a server and not a router...

What about the DNS server?

If all addresses are fixed the DHCP issue becomes moot.

Hi,

All the servers should be set to a static ip.

As nsanto17 said - install DHCP and DNS on one of the servers.

I'm assuming that you don't use active directory? if so why not.

When you also say its slow to map to the servers, do you mean you login scrips? and if so how is the script run and what is the script?

No scripts are involved, just the reconnect at login function of the Tools - Map Network Drive option in My Computer.

Given this method of reconnecting, does the DNS have any impact?

If they use fixed IP addresses for the servers and workstations is DHCP still required?

For a small network like this I feel Active Directory is not needed. When I see the problems created by server failures where AD is in use without backup servers in place and no on site IT staff, I don't use them. Security isn't an issue but minimal support is.

DNS for workgroup

If they use fixed IP addresses for the servers and workstations is DHCP still required? No, but I would setup static for the server [no other choice] and DHCP for clients.

I've run AD since 2000 server which is now 10 years and the only time it broke is when I broke it, by replicating the bad AD to the good one.

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

Changing IP from DHCP to static won't make any difference. Can you provide an example of the connectivity? is it:

\\servername\sharename ?

Yes.

I set up the DNS on Friday so time will tell if there is any omprovement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back