Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fix windows in position on screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpluskota

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
GB
Our users have 3 specific programs that they use, outlook, a case managment systems and also photo viewer for viewing scanned documents. I want to install some software that will position these windows on the screen and lock them so the users can't minimise or maximise the windows and so the windows can't overlap eachother.

Thanks

I don't know if you might be able to get some software to do this but I suspect not. Many administrators have a misguided desire to impose on their users - don't be one of them. Train the users to use the software (and Windows if necessary) and let them decide how to arrange the windows on their own desktops - the best arrangement is unlikely to be the same all day every day for every user. Apart from that, having a scanned document viewer as one of three tiled windows is unlikely to be ideal unless your users have large screens.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Professional Office Developers Association

I would have second those thoughts.

How can you possibly know EVERY time what the usage may be? How can you know EVERY time where the windows should be placed for every user? How can you possibly know that there will NEVER be a valid reason for minimizing a application window? How can you possibly know there may not be a valid reason for a user to maximize an application window?

Could it be done, freeze application windows? Sure, probably. Although it is not an Office question. I would try perhaps the VB forum. There is nothing native for Office that easily does this, but I have no doubt something could be built to do it.

Far better though would be, as Tony states, to train users to function with application windows.

It seems very intrusive to me. I have to say if a system tried to impose that kind of rigidity on my display, the first I thing I would do is try and break it. The whole point of windows is to allow display flexibility. Otherwise what is the point? Otherwise programmers would hard code coordinates.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

I agree too

Teach then how to rt click on taskbar and tile open windows

I appreciate your comments but if you dont know then please dont post them, how can you possibly know what our business needs are or how we require our users to work?
For anyone who is interested there is a product called zmover and can be found at zmover.com which does the trick.

Hi tpluskota,

I do not know what your business needs are; you haven't chosen to share that with us so I cannot take it into account. I do know that imposing a rigid way of working against a user's will is always counter-productive.

If you post in a public forum then one assumes you are open to suggestions from the public. I am sorry you don't like the comments offered; you are free to ignore them. Someone else with a similar question may search here in the future and find this thread, and the comments may be useful to them so, whatever your views (or mine), they are still valuable.

I am glad that you have found what you were looking for; I hope it helps.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Professional Office Developers Association

True, I don't know your business needs, or what you require your users to do.

I DO know that in over 30 years of involvement in user interface design I have never seen any requirement (as opposed to a desire) for a lock down of window placement. I have never seen a business need so well analyzed that it determined a user should NEVER, EVER, be allowed to minimize, or maximize an application window.

A needs analysis that determined an ideal window placement? Sure.

You must have one heck of a needs analysis team.

In any case, glad you found something that works for you. Do remember that this is, as Tony mentioned, a public forum. You are free to ignore whatever gets posted, but you can not dictate our expression of opinion. That is kind of like, well, kind of like not letting us minimize or maximize our windows.

Tat was meant as humor by the way. Seriously, if you found something that works for you, well and good. And thank you for posting back that you did so.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back