Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fisrt Form Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedstar1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2001
US
Hi Friends,

I'm building a form to be used to automate some functions of our quoting process. I have a few questions that I need to answer before I begin:

1. I will have a combo box for the Part numbers cboPartNum that I can set up to query from the ItemMaster.Item field. Tied to that, I want to have some of the fields autoupdate to reflect the related fields ItemMaster.Desc and ItemMaster.Price when the drop-down box has been accessed. I'm not sure how to do that.

2. I will have some fields that will calculate based on the autoupdated ItemMaster.Price field, which also need to update automatically, or on-the-fly. Anything I need to think about in advance? Tips?

3. When the form opens, it will trigger a query that will prompt the user for four quantity values, which will also be used in various calculations. This is pretty much done, thaNks to help in other forums.

4. This is the biggie. I want to be able to capture all of the information on the form, including calculated fields, and dump it into a quote history table. Is there a way to ttrigger an append query using a button, or that is triggered by default IF NOT ALREADY upon the forms' closure?

That's all. That's actually quite a bit. Thanks in advance.

Let me address (1)

I believe you need a form that is bound to the part numbers. It has all the info on the part numbers and certain key fields. The companys that supply the part number might be one of the keys. That company would have its own table and be linked one to many to the part numbers. I would have an incident table that linked to the part numbers. A user might populate a price update from that form. I would have an archive table that showed the old price the new price, the date and the user who made the entry. That way, you would have a history of part numbr versus costs. You need a find cbo to get you to the particulat part number.

That is only a bit that might be said for (1)

R

This is great advice, Rollie, and gets me over my current speedbump, as I have tried to design the form a few different ways now, and I know exactly what you are talking about - much obliged. I'm not entirely familiar with an incident table - would this be a table with no relationships? A table with no primary key? Regardless, I can search on the term so this is a real boon. Thanks again.

As for the find cbo, I know the process for setting this up by now, but I am still a little lost on the updated fields and how they get updated - do I need to add that as an event?

Thanks again to everyone reading and thinking.

In this case, the incident table would be the 'home' of all the requests to change the prices of product. I would update perhaps from an updatelist that is furnished from soome other source and would do a search on the part number, update the price and make an incident table. Think about how your users would like to do something.

rollie@bwsys.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back