Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fishpoles 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

maschineMitel

Technical User
Jul 21, 2004
CA
Does anyone have a source for inexpensive "fishpoles....fully exteneded 24 ft. long.......thanks

I am going to Home Depot at lunchtime to check on the Chimney Sweep poles---I will give my assesment after that---if they are what I think they are...........then I will be quite happy!

Oh well--here in San Diego--they happen to be considered SEASONAL items, so they wont stock them until October

Whenk I mentioned tent poles I was refering to the figerglass ones for the pup tents.

I worked with one guy had a mini-crossbow with a fishing reel attached to it. it would sling the line wonderfly thru ceiling joists etc. there is also a source at for poles etc.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I tried the mini crossbow thing also tried the dart gun that greenlee sells

the greenlee dart gun was a complete waste no range at all 60 bucks down the tubes

most of the ceilings I work in have so many obsrtructions beams . air ducts ect ect ect that the crossbow dart would hit something and bounce back so again little range

every once in a while I got a good shot but it wasnt worth toting around

one thing I have for open ceilings or to get over beams is a tennis ball I drilled out and put a eyebolt in

I can get pretty good range with it and the ball portion is soft so if it happens to fall out a open tile its not likley to hurt anyone

The plastic tongues from particle board flooring are good to use especially in walls with Insulation.

Tennis ball sounds like a good idea...will try it....Did find Black Widows's at Cabela's....a little thin walled but will do for now...looks liek they extend to 30 ft.

On another note: I use a 1 in. wide measuring tape to fish insulated walls.....I bent the clip so it didn't retract. It cutsd through the insulation plus it has the two added benefits of being small and convenient plus it also .....measures where an obstrucxtyion may be....other then that , uninsulated, chain and string.

I had a hard rubber ball with an eyebolt setup on it (headache ball) it was interesting when you thru it in a false ceiling with the little metal railings going all over the place, the ball bounced around like a superball sometimes.

had one guy from the cable company had an RC car with a string tied on it.

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I like fiberglass tent poles with the elastic inside - you don't lose loose pieces and there's no threads to mank up. Really cheap at garage sales or the REI yearly junk sale.

As backup - Crossbow - for over wide expanses of ceiling you couldn't otherwise get over, I packed the aluminum shaft with lead for a straighter trajectory and better aim. Shoot for the drywall fire block - it sticks :-D

ya, metal poles aren't a good idea. I got some fiberglass poles sencond hand. Cheaper that way.

Not much into wiring but on one project we used rolls of black tape to sling our string. The greenline dart gun with the cheesy fishing reel is a piece of crap.

Forums rule, pass it on!!!

Rob

No phone in the phone closet cause us phone guys have one hanging from our tool belt

painters extension poles

Why is there never a phone in the phone closet?

Hey tool belt, got one in my kit too. They put the network in the closet too. Ever try to transfer a digital extension to a butt-set and wait on hold for tech support? Got an idea for a fish pole?

Why is there never a phone in the phone closet?

The pole you want is sold by a company Called Labour Saving Devices.
We have used a couple of them for a number of years and they work great.

They are available in Canada and likely in the USA.

//lsdinc.com

the USA version of labour saving devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back