Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fiscal year criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETID

Programmer
Jul 6, 2001
US
Is there a way to express a criteria or an experssion to return the records of a table that fall within the fiscal year...6/30 to 7/1, but do it dynamically (based on the calander year that you are in), I.E. as the months in the fiscal year advance, return only the current fiscal year...I would like to not have to "hard code the year(s) into the criteria.

do-able?

In most systems that I have worked on, the Fiscal year settings were maintained in the database and retrieved when needed by subroutine. This prevents the hard coding issue plus makes the system adaptable should the company decide to shift fiscal periods (one company may want calendar fiscal where others might want a "October prior" fiscal start).

With this type of structure, you can build a function like letsGetFiscal(datevalue) and have the system call the fiscal table and identify the accounting period. This additionally gives you the ability to handle other conditions pertinent to period closing, etc. petersdaniel@hotmail.com
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." --Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back