Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FIRST TIME SET UP OF PRI ON A MODULAR ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveybc

Technical User
May 29, 2002
CA
I am new at setting up a PRI onto an MICS and wanted to know if the following protocol is common amongst other installers: For line coding the choices are B8ZS or AMI.
Line framing choices ESF or D4. Type of connector RJ 45 or DB15. Digits of outpulse 3,4,7,10. Protocol NI-1 or NI-2.

The choices I think I need to make are B8ZS, ESF, RJ45, 4 digits outpulse, NI-2.

The choice I am not sure of is digits outpulse. If I should select 4 ( last 4 digits of ext. numbers ) or 7 digits. I assume it does'nt realy mater but wondering if it's easier to manage 7 digits.

The PRI is comming from a DMS 100 switch.

Any input is appreciated. Dave.

daveybc:

A few things to consider: Is this a new system or an existing customer upgrade to PRI? You may want to upgrade the software (If existing system) if you are in the 4.0 range as the information in the PRI enabler states issues surrounding this level. PRI enabler (Key Code) must be purchased to activate the PRI in the 0x32. (Didn't see anything in you message that referred to the above items).
As far as the set up you mention in the message, you will have to get with the LEC and confirm all of this as the options can vary from LEC to LEC. Configuration: ESF/B8ZS, NI2 and RJ45 are all good. You can specify to the LEC how many digits to send and we usually ask for 4 and match our extensions to the DID range if possible. Do you have the DID number range from the LEC or are you porting numbers ect? This is a little to get you going but a bit more info is needed as to where you are in the process and if you are in contact with the LEC to establish your requirements.

I have a MICS w/6.1 sw, PRI/T1 card, PRI enabler and Combo card on the way. All equipment is new. I believe that is all the hardware I need. The PRI is being used because the customer wanted caller ID on there analog DID service. Most the numbers are in a block from 3800-3830 with the exception of some fax numbers, I also have a 0X8 analog module I will be using for the faxes and dial up modems and porting those numbers. I have a form from the carrier to fill out and will submit it soon. I think I will use the last 4 digits for the outpulse.

I think I have all the info I need to place the order. I am wondering though about the PRI enabler. From what I understand you have to go to the Nortel website to obtain a number to unlock the PRI part of the card. And you need to be a channel partner to get it, which I am not. The guy who sold me the hardware told me he would help me to get it if I needed.

Can anyone clarify the exact process in using the PRI enabler. Am I right on that one.

When you receive the PRI Enabler it will be a few peices of paper sealed in plastic. Once you open it you will find the instruction which include the Key Code and an 800 number. You dial the number, follow the prompts and you'll receive back a series of numbers that you enter into the 0x32. I don't think that you have to be a partner unless this has changed since Dec.2003 when I called last.

Thanks Trabra for the input. I will be looking forward to this install.

Are you going to replace your Expansion card with the new COMBO Card?

Hawks,
This is all brand new equipment on its way. Is there any issues with older Combo cards or service cards that you know of? I am intrested if there is. Thanks. Dave

You should be fine with what you have. Are you familiar with building the Route and Desti Codes? Because with PRI that is what you need to use.

and since u use routing there will be no dialtone after dialing 9.
and to get CLID u need to enable it per set on the target line appearing on the set

the OLI field needs to be filled up if each extension needs to send out a different ANI

No I am not familiar with programming anything to do with PRI. The only thing I know is that the PRI is basicly a digital pipeline to the CO with all numbers treated as DIDs. I believe you have to translate the incomming digits or pulse to route to extensions or target lines and assign them to extensions. I also believe I need to program what other callers see on their CLID when a user calls from the PRI.

This should be a fairly strait forward install because the users of the system only have DIDs no reception no admin. line. When some calls a DID it rings 1 phone, displays CLID and forwards RNA to the voice mail. The number that is sent when dialing out is the first number of the block xxx 3800. If someone recieves CLID from one of the extensions and call back xxx 3800 that DID will be programmed to ring into the Call pilot 150 AA, with a menu.

I expect I will be reading the 6.1 installation guide a few times over, along with fair bit of testing in the 48 hour time fram I have before Allstream ports the DIDs and faxes over. And perhaps a post or two.

If anyone has a cheat sheet or info that would help me out that would be excellent. Post back and I will get an email. I have been an installer for 15 years so I should be able to figure this all out. I just have not had the oportunity to work with PRI.

I know how you feel Dave. I recently did the same and these forums were a lifesaver. Nothing in the install was going well and I'm new to phones in particular so during my first install we could figure anything out. Nothing seemed to be working right etc etc. Then i did a search and came up with this site and it's helped a lot. Also, remember to set the outdial code as 9Any, should look like 9. inside the MICS. This helps prevent the MICS from losing channels due to people hitting 9 and waiting before they actually call out. Your DID lines should be fairly simple and straightforward to program but i'll try and keep an eye out on the forums this weekend in case you need help. Is this a long distance T1? or a local T1. Doesn't sound important but it is. If it's a long distance T1, you cannot dial 1-800 numbers on it that are NOT owned by your provider. We recently ran into this problem with AT&T and had to put some old analog lines in service with direct dial on 91800 etc being typed into the phones.

We installed a PRI on a MICS a year ago and had a few problems. They are now resolved in the latest Maintenance Release, MICS 6.1 MR WI 6.05. This software was released in March 2004 and resolves some long-standing issues when connecting a PRI to a DMS100 using NI-2 protocol. The maintenance release is a free upgrade and well worth the trouble.

NI-2 supports caller id name and number delivery. If I recall correctly, NI-1 only supports caller id number, not name delivery. NI-2 is the one to order and it works well with the MICS.

Two other important itemsto note, make sure that B-Channel Service Messaging is turned off at the central office and setup the destination code for outbound calls to "9Any", not "9".

Good luck!!!

The software release I purchased April 5 2004 is as follows.

A0500008 2003/09/17
Nt7B66CC Rel 01 0003
NA-MICS-DR 6.1 FC
Made in Canada 2005/03

Will this software work well with the NI-2 protocol?
If there is a later version that would work better perhaps I should contact my my supplier and exchange it? If someone could clarify that would be great? You can bet the supplier will tell me that what he sent me is the latest version and will work fine.

Cowenby mentons a maintenance release upgrade is free of charge. Would this mean I would have to upgrade my new software? and where do you get it? Thanks for all the help. Dave.

as of last week, we had not figured out a way with nortel as to how we get teh replacement MR software ... ITAS sent me a note saying , send this note and the RMA dept will get taken care of ...but so far nothing has happened on this front. (this is for the latest maintenance release of 6.1)

as far as NI2, that is possible with regular rel6.1

NT7B66CC is not the latest release. The engineering code suffixes for the latest release are CR, CT and CU. The upgrade (exchange) is free, but a Purchase Order is required from a Nortel authorized distributor to insure that you will return the old software cartridge to Nortel.

You software will work with NI-2, but the new release works better since it fixes several bugs relating directly to NI-2.

Cowenby,

Do you know what kind of bugs the newest release fixes? I talked to my supplier who said he sent me the latest of what they have and it should work fine. The install is slated for the end of the month so if I can find a version that will work best with NI-2 I would prefer to use it. Thanks, Dave.

with mics 6.1 pri route 001 diaolout 9 pool pri-A,
des code 9 any. I can only dial local calls with prefix starting with 9 only. whats wrong? and thanks.
cmctelecom.

Your Dest. codes are not built properly.

MarvO said it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back