Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First time install of sco 5.0.6 problems! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleartech

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2003
US
I installed SCO Open Server 5.0.6 on a Dell 600 SC for the first time and I am having a problem getting into the gui. If I install the mouse as a hi res keyboard mouse- relink and reboot the system will hang at the "Scologin is starting (/dev/tty02). Please wait..." If I remove the mouse- relink and reboot it will display "Scologin: mouse needs to be configured" I would like to be able to log into the gui.
Thanks in advance... Please Help!

I don't know if you would have tried this already or not, but what happens if you use low-res mouse? I tried hi-res first too, gui worked fine but with strange mouse behaviour. Switching to low-res fixed the problem.

My guess is that your problem isn't the mouse, but rather the video configuration or drivers.

Thanks for the replies, Yes, I tried the low res mouse- actually I tried all of the available mice configs! I agree that it is probably the video card or configuration. During the installation the card was auto detected and the resolution was set to 1024x768. I modified the resolution to 640x480 and still had the same problem. Any ideas with further video configuration

My video settings were set to 1024x768 and the card auto detected. I attempted to remove the adapter and reinstall it and now I receive an error when I try to add it back: "Error: child process exited abnormally" there are a lot of details when I click on Details. If I click on OK, that's it, I can not add it back.
BTW, when I attempt to run "startx" the following error occurs: "Upgrade License Missing, Xsco: Error- Failed to request license from Policy Manager. (IFOR_PM_FATAL)
Thanks In advance for you responses!

What is the actual video adapter you have? It could be that the one SCO is auto detecting isn't correct, and you need to specify a different card when you re-install the driver.

Try doing your video re-install in single user mode. If that doesn't work, try a different video adapter. If nothing else works you may need to re-install the OS.

cleartech, how did you modify the resolution to 640x480 ? We are having similar problems. How did you come out on this issue?

Thanks

I am new at this so be gentle......

I am getting a serious runaround from Dell on installation of SCO 5.0.6 on a Dell 1650. The 1650 has a Perc3/di controller in it. I have setup the RAID1 container and tried the BTLD disk. I setup a btld for percraid and tried a variety of bootstrings all no to avail.

I keep getting the no root disk controller found after linking the percraid in (defbootstr lin=percraid). Also I have tried the ahslink and disabling some of the options like wd and mdac.

Any ideas I can try?

hi scoboy7

u can change the resolution while configuring for your video adapter.

[ponder]
----------------
ur feedback is a very welcome desire

Racarlton, your question is unrelated to this thread so please post it as a new thread where people will see it. When you re-post, please spell out the exact boot strings you have tried, and also what controller the cd-rom drive is on. Be sure to include the other hardware details as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back