Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First off, I am a PC person not a M 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkov

Programmer
Sep 10, 2003
US
First off, I am a PC person not a MAC person so please be patient, I am a little ignorant when it comes to MACs.

I have a network setup at home that consists of 2 PC's, a laptop and now a MAC. I am able to connect to the MAC from the other computers and vice-versa. There are 2 things that I would like to be able to do: Print to a printer shared on one of the PC's and "map" a drive to one of the PC's on the MAC.

How do I print to a shared printer(on PC) from a MAC? I have not yet figured it out yet. Would I have to print to it through the IP address like this: \10.1.1.2\PrinterName

Is there a way to "map" a drive on a MAC like you can on a PC? I don't want my wife to have to manually connect to the PC every time that she needs something.

Thanks for your help.

What version of Mac and Windows OS are you running?

- - picklefish - -

Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Sorry, I knew I for got something.

MAC OSX
Windows XP

XP Home, not Professional.

Another place to look for info:

As for mapping a drive, I would do this:
connect to the shared volume you wish your wife to access from the Mac.
In the authentication dialog box, there is an 'Options' button in the lower-left corner. Select it, then check on 'Add to Keychain' in the following dialog box. Say OK, then connect to the shared volume.
Highlight the volume on the desktop, then choose 'Add to Favorites' from the File menu. This creates a shortcut (an 'alias' on a Mac) in the Favorites directory.
Your wife can now access this volume by double-clicking it in the list of Favorites.
But wait, there's more!
Go to the 'Login Items' pane of System Preferences and add the favorite to the list of login items. From now on, when this user accoun logs in, the drive is mounted. This is very, very analogous to Windows mapped drives.

Good luck with the printing.

To connect to a windows share:

In "Finder", select the "Go" menu and then "Connect to Server". Hopefully, the Windows machine will appear in the list of servers the Mac can see. Select it and press Connect.

If you can't see the server in the list, you can specify it by address:

smb://my.windows.machine/my.share.name

"smb" stands for "Samba", by the way.

To print, you need to look at a Mac application called "Dave". Check out

Thanks kertusa and ObviousTroll.

I will see what I can do tonight when I get home and let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

kertusa,

Thank You, I was able to set it up to automatically connect to the drive when it boots. Have a star.

ObviousTroll,

I am going to look into that program today and let you know how it goes.

ObviousTroll,

The "Dave" application worked great. Have a star.

Seeing that it is a not cheap, do you know of a free program or a much cheaper program that will do the same thing? The demo is only good until 10/3.

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, no.

I've been hoping that Apple would build that support into 10.3, but it doesn't look like it.

Is DAVE really needed? Apple.com seems to indicate that you can share Windows printers with OSX right out of the box. What are we missing here?

- - picklefish - -

Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Well, if you can tell me how....

If it's a networked printer using a universal plug and play interface (aka rendezvous) then both windows and OS X can use it. We have one like that at work.

But I have no idea how to do it when it's just a PC sharing it's printer.

Maybe thru finagling with CUPS?

I got my OS X to connect to a PC shared printer by using IP Printing. So you may want to install the Unix Print service and give that a shot.

But when I tried to map a drive like the way stated above, my Finder locked up. Any clues to why?

Dreddnews,

I've never heard of Finder locking up like that when connected to a windows share. *but*

I have repeatedly had a problem where I mapped a work PC share to my powerbook, then took my powerbook home without ejecting the share. This apparently locks up the Finder in 10.2 when you later try to access or eject the share.

Does that sound like what happened to you?

Actually the username is different on my Windows Network share and I tried to have the authenication remember the Windows username and password and map it that way. It failed.

I have Panther now with Active Directory working so I got around that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back