Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

first line of colum is empty /white

Status
Not open for further replies.

nstikker

Technical User
Jul 25, 2005
NL
Hi,

My problem is that I have a large text and that sometimes the empty line (white line? I don't know how to call this in English) between two paragraphs ends up as the first line of a new colum. In Word this is corrected automatically, but how do you do this in Indesign CS2? I could delete the line but then if later my text is revised the two paragraphs could end up in the middle of the collum without the empty line in between. Ik tried to see if there was a solution in the Keep options, but I couldn't find anything.

Please help! I had this same problem in Quark and I'm getting frustrated.

...have you looked into baseline grids?

...each text box can be customized to a baseline...

...these can be helpful in these sort of situations...

Andrew

...the empty line you refer to is known as a line/paragraph return...

Andrew

You will want to remove the manual paragraph return...instead of putting space in between paragraphs, use the Space Before/Space After commands in your paragraph palette...if the white space is between paragraphs, it will be there...but if the space would be at the top of the column, it won't put it in if it's not needed. Hope that helps!

Thxs for all your help so far.

Ekwoman, your solution sounds great. When I give my bodytext a space after of one basegridline all goes well. I just have to find and replace a lot of double returns in single returns. And give all my paragraph styles like headings a space after. No problem there. But: what to do with lists with bullets? I made a paragraph style with an indent for them and if I give it a space after there appear empty lines between the bullets. Of coarse I want this only with one line at the end of my list with bullets.

Any ideas?

I don't understand your problem 100%, but maybe you can create a paragraph style for the first line of the list with space before, and another paragraph style for the rest of elements of the list without space before... dunno...

Using different paragraph styles is one solution. I already inserted paragraph returns (or better put them back in) to solve the problem and both solutions will be the same amount of work, I think. But your solution is probably better because more in line with the rest. Thanks.
I'm just looking for anything that could save me going through the entire text looking for these lists. Doesn't matter, the biggest problem (the white lines) is solved now.
Thanks everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back