Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First Home Network: Looking for Answers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidKnows

Programmer
Oct 11, 2007
US
I'm remodeling my basement and all the walls are currently open, as well as the ceiling. There are a number of rooms I am going to run some Cat6 UTP (Or Cat5e, if its the better option) to for in-wall internet connections. I already have a switch, a wall panel for all internet lines to feed into, and low-voltage plates for the walls. My concern is with the UTP line I have. I already have 1000 feet of the Cat6/5e but I fear crossing the 120V lines already in place. In the ceiling, I have a large area that is a chain of Recessed Lights. The walls have the 120V Romex running through them. My questions are these:

1) What is the maximum safe distance to run a Cat6/5e UTP and 120V Romex in Parallel?
2) When crossing over cables, I was told to cross at a 90 Degree angle. Is a space between the cables needed?
3) Is it safe to run RG-59 and Cat6/5e in a pair, to the same wall plate?
4) Can you run a cluster of Cat6/5e/RG-59 or a group of both without any signal degradation?
5) If needed, will Aluminum Foil work as a shield if the Data Cables pass close to a 120V?
6) Will a standard 2x8 provide enough shielding if a 120V is stapled to one side and a Cat6/5e/RG-59 to the other side?

Since I am inexperienced with this process, I was told that I should consider Cat5e over Cat6 for the following reasons: It's more forgiving with installation since Cat6 must be perfect, it's cheaper to work with and in-house internet usage will most-likely never use the full potential of Cat5e, so Cat6 is Overkill...

Your thoughts and suggestions?

1. The larger the distance the better. Don't drive yourself nuts trying to get the largest distance.
2. Being close to romex isn't really the problem. The problem is being close or on the florcent lights.
3. Yes. My house has RG-6Q and Cat 5e and Cat 3 to every wall plate. I suggest that you use at least RG-6 for cable as 59 is not used much anymore.
4. I do it. No issues.
5. Never done that. Don't worry about being close to 120V. But stay away from those florcent lights.
6. Yes, you'll be fine.

I would use Cat 5e for a home network, cheaper and easier to work with. Also, upgrade your video cable to RG-6. It's thicker but will give you less loss of signal over the distance of the run.

Thanks for the post! That was really fast and informative... but, for every answer leads to a new question, it seems.

1) Is Cat6 really harder to install than Cat5e? As a novice, should I just run Cat5e or is a Cat6 install (With vertical and horizontal runs) a possibility with someone who has absolutely no experience with this...
2) The Recessed Lights are incandescent, but the drop-ceiling lights are Fluorescent. What is the maximum safe-distance to run from each light type?

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

At the house i would say that Cat5E (350 mhz) would be all you would ever need and it is easier to install for your level of knowledge.

As for the lighting, just don't drop the wire on top of it. Stay as far away as possible. Also look for J hooks to run these in above the ceiling. That way they don't just lay across the cabling tiles and wiring.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

I would avoid Stapling the Cabling, maybe you are using stapling as a term to mean attaching to the board figuratively.. but you'd probly be better off with screw on zip ties or something...makes it harder to damage the cables while installing..and as mentioned the risk of interference is much greater from fluorescent lights then from the electrical wires in a house..

What I've been doing is stapling a zip-tie to the wood every two feet, so I can use it to hold wires and tighten if needed.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm going to start on this tonight and I'll be posting my results tomorrow. :)

Just be careful to not over tighten the cable ties. It can damage the cables. Normally J hooks or velcro is used on data cables.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

I have over 23 years experience in this field. You should stay at least 6 inches away from electrical when running parrallel to it for the safest way. You can run all of your low voltage together as a clump. This is necessary when coming down the wall, and never ever staple data cable. Good luck with your project and use cat 5e.

We all need a little help once in awhile. Tony the Phoneman..

hot water tanks have a 5000 watt heating element so don't get to close. leave the wires loose in the walls no staples or ties noboby can see them. Done this was you can use the cable as a pull string later to install something new and better...

I would think 10Base-T is the best home option

Thanks for the replies and help, everyone. I successfully wired my house with Cat5e and RG6 Quad-shield. I tested the 20 points in the house using (linking to a server 50 miles away) and I was getting download speeds of 9000kbps, sometimes more or less. The upload speeds were around 1500kbps. These speeds should be good enough for heavy online gaming, music streaming and video streaming by a few people.

I terminated all cables to a central point by using a Structured Media Center made by Lutron (280 Series). The only hard thing is trying to find a decent mounting method for a cable modem, router and switch. :D Still, the hard part is over and I'm pleased with the results. Thank you all.

Thanks for the replies and help, everyone. I successfully wired my house with Cat5e and RG6 Quad-shield. I tested the 20 points in the house using (linking to a server 50 miles away) and I was getting download speeds of 9000kbps, sometimes more or less. The upload speeds were around 1500kbps. These speeds should be good enough for heavy online gaming, music streaming and video streaming by a few people.

I terminated all cables to a central point by using a Structured Media Center made by Leviton (280 Series). The only hard thing is trying to find a decent mounting method for a cable modem, router and switch. :D Still, the hard part is over and I'm pleased with the results. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back