Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First Cisco Exam Tuesday !

Status
Not open for further replies.

qz01gs

Technical User
Jun 28, 2005
GB
Am basically going for my first cisco exam on Tuesday. The trouble am having is different books say different things. I've been using the Boson practice tests and on there questions they allow subnet zero. But the way they term their questions they dont use Available or useable subnets. I was wondering if someone could just post an example.

Say if we had an address 192.168.32.31/28

Am i right in saying that with no subnet zero there would be 14 subnets and 14 hosts per subnet.? And the subnets would go up in 14's.

But with subnet zero it would be 16 and 14 and subnets would go up in increments of 16.

Is that right?

Thanks in advance for you time

I am not the best in the world at subnetting but here is what I have been taught. When subnettting, and trying to figure out then increments for subnet numbers, increment the subnet numbers by the amount of the slot of the right most bit used. I just basically confused the Sh*t out of you didn't I. Here is how it works, using the example you gave, you are borrowing 4 bits

128 64 32 16 8 etc...
1 1 1 1

See how the last bit is under the 16. That is what you increment by. At least thats how I was taught.

Network Admin
A+, Network+, MCSA 2000, MCSE 2000

Thanks for that I can subnet fine in my head when subnet zero is allowd but get confused when it isn't

Is the CCNA exam the same in each country that it is taken or are there different versions etc?

I'm not 100% sure but I think they are the same, but you get extra time if English is not your primary language.

As far as I know, for CCNA curriculum, Subnet Zero is NOT valid, so be careful.

There seems to be conflicting views on that, there are practice exams on cisco's website where they do allow subnet zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back