Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First Amendment Rights meet my granddaughter's sense of humor, headon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
I am all for First Amendment Rights to Free Speech. But I also believe that with rights come responsibilities. So just because we have the right to do something, it doesn't mean it's right to do it.

Yesterday, my 11-year-old granddaughter and I were at a department store. A morbidly obese woman was wearing a "statement T-shirt" emblazoned with large, block letters that read "Eat $#!^" (but explicitly spelled out). The T-shirt suffered an "unfortunate" fold just below the left shoulder blade.

My granddaughter, exhibiting either her mature-beyond-her-years sense of humor, or sincere naïveté, rebutted the woman's offensive statement with, "Grandpa, I can't quite make out the first letter...is it an 'E' or is it an 'F'?"

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

I can see a "$#!^ my granddaughter said" blog coming from all this... she does come up with some good ones! :)

Annihilannic.

[rofl]

Santa: PRICELESS!

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

ding ding ding ding ding .... we have a winner!

I received a side e-mail from an MAI-er wondering if the above event was "on the level". (Un)Luckily, my daughter snapped some "documentation" on her camera phone. (BTW, I intend no offense to any viewers by posting this, but folks just need to know that you can't make this stuff up):

ditshirt.jpg

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

I can't help but notice she is picking out a Father's Day book. I wonder what book she got her father?

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

"Who's Yer Daddy?" maybe? <grin>

or, as a variant of Annihilannic's earlier suggestion, "$h*! My Dad Says".

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

2ffat said:
I can't help but notice she is picking out a Father's Day book. I wonder what book she got her father?

Yes, he must be very proud.

[bigsmile]

If that department store happens to be Wal-Mart then you might want to submit your granddaughter's snap to peopleofwalmart.com

Lots of similar content there

I don't know what it is about that store, Walmart, but every time I go there it makes me angry and irritable. The store, really 'makes an impression' on me and it isn't a good one. I think it is a combination of poor service by employees who for the most part couldn't care less, rude and obnoxious customers, the sense that "thanks to Walmart" and the cheap mentality I have fewer options to get a higher quality product if I want to, and to top it all off there is the the everyone is a thief mentality. I will say that some stores are worse in these regards than others.

I know that the quick answer is to not shop there and for the most part I don't. There are some things, such as storage bins that my wife uses for her tie dye making, that are hard to locate elsewhere any more. So we wait until we need something like that and while we are there stock up on things like toothpaste, and deodorant, and kitty litter which are a few of the things that they do have substantial savings on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back