Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FIRST 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROMBA

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
BE
Hello,

I am creating a database that will be stored on a shared network drive. This will be used by 200 people. This will be split in a back and front end.
To limit network traffic, I try to search a solution.

Instead of loading all the data, I want Access to perform an append query that will download the data from the network table.

Afterwards, there is an update query that changes data in the main table for ex: LOCKED

I found the function FIRST (not so hard to found), but to limit more traffic, I want to download always the first 10 records.

How do I download only the first 10 records?

Thank you for helping me out. if something is not clear, please don't hesitate to put a comment .

Thank you

Not sure that I fully understand what you want to do but..

One way that you may be able to do it is to sort the records in a query first (SortedQuery), so that the 10 that you want are the first 10, and then write a query that appends them to the destination table. i.e...

INSERT INTO DestinationTable
SELECT TOP 10 [SortedQuery].*
FROM [SortedQuery];

I am not sure whether this will work, as I have not appended to a table using the TOP function, so please give it a go and let us know.

YES yes that s it

thanks a lot

oh my god TOP 10 .. should have thought on that one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back