Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firmware upgrade question 5520

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan1765

Programmer
Jan 6, 2013
CA
Quick question on firmware upgrades. I'm mainly a cisco data guy but have some nortel switches I end up helping with as well.

When upgrading firmware and diags on 5520 switches specifically I was told by another tech you have to go though installing all the releases/diags in order one at a time until you get to the latest you intend to use. In the cisco world you just push the IOS verion you want with no in between updates. Is the above steps required or can I just upgrade to the latest firmware/diags in one shot?

Thanks!

The only time I believe that is necessary is when crossing the 6.0 code line. Once on 6.0, you can go to the desired release in one step, such as from 6.1.1 to 6.3.3 in one step. Well, two steps if you count the diag and image updates each as a single step. The release notes for the intended destination release will tell you if there are any exceptions.

Below are the excerpts from the 6.0 release notes.

Upgrading Agent Image from release 5.0 or 5.1 to release 6.0
Step Action
1 Upgrade the diagnostic image from the earlier release to release 6.0
diagnostic image.
2 Upgrade the agent image from release 5.0 or 5.1 to release 6.0
agent image.
—End—

Use the following procedure to upgrade the Agent Image from release 4.x to
release 6.0
Upgrading Agent Image from release 4.x to release 6.0
Step Action
1 Upgrade the agent image from release 4.x to release 5.0.
2 Upgrade the diagnostic image the earlier release to release 6.0
diagnostic image.
3 Upgrade the agent image from release 5.0 to release 6.0.
—End—

Ah okay. Thanks for the info. So I can skip the 6.1,6.2 releases and just go 6.3.3. That'll save some time.

CHeers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back