Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firmware Downgrade for 4600 IP Phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CentennialMan

Instructor
Sep 6, 2005
CA
Is there a procedure to apply a previous firmware/software load to the 46xx series of IP phones? (specifically 4602SW). The upgrade procedure is an interesting one for students, but once the phone is upgraded, unless it can be rolled back, it can't be done again. Can't have an unlimited supply of factory-state phones. I tried placing the older files on the tftp server, but the phone complained that there was an invalid version when I restarted it; so much for the simple approach. They are connected to G700/S8300 systems, not that it probably matters. BTW, the upgrade process does work just fine.

Try the "4600 Series IP Telephone Installation Guide". It is Avaya document 555-233-128.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have read this document previously, and while there is mention of the downgrade procedure for the 4630 set, it doesn't work for the 4602 - I tried it. I am getting this information on page 26 of the Installation Guide Rel 2.1. Maybe I missed it elsewhere?

What versions are you upgrading to and from? I’m not 100% sure but if I think back and remember correctly, FW greater than 2.1 automatically loads whatever is available on the TFTP, even if this means a downgrade, while FW before 2.1 will not downgrade automatically.
this maybe requires some new phones (4620) that take the 2.1 and greater, not 4602 which I believe have 1.8.3 as the latest code

Regards

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back