Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewire: PC vs Mac--Can We Talk? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

animator77

Technical User
Apr 28, 2002
US
I bought a ADS Pyro Firewire card and a WD 80G firewire drive last week to transport large files between Mac's at school and my PC at home. After formating the drive with Windows XP NTFS it accepted files just fine. Took it to school and the Mac would not read my files. I've heard there is software out there that allows file transfer between the PC and Mac. Any idea where I can get the software?

I'm not entirely sure if it's what you’re looking for but I used a Program called LanMac when I installed a network of PC's & Mac’s.

I might be what you need

There are a few pieces of software that will let you transfer files between Mac and PC... One, which I've used frequently has a trial download available... it's called TransMac... Not sure of the site off the top of my head, but do a Google searcha dn you'll find it.

What type of Macs are at school that you are hoping to share files with? And what files are you specifically trying to share?

There is a nice app called Dave that allows file sharing between Macs and PC's on networks. You can also keep in mind that Mac Office 98 is Compatible with Office 97 and so on up from there...

Get a little more specific with exactly what your trying to do and I might be able to help you a little better...

Oops, I misread ytour question and thought you were trying to connect a Mac and PC together via FireWire -- sorry!

Thanks guys, I bought the TransMac software suggested by MISAdmin in his reply. It promises to do everything I was looking for. When I get around to using it I will send another note to let everyone know how it worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back