Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewire Hard Drive not at full capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciribe

Technical User
May 31, 2002
US
Hello wise people out there. The company's tech support is not being very helpful... so I'll throw the problem down here...

I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. I have a 20 gig internal hardrive. 5GB go to Linux. I bought a 60GB firewire drive and plugged it in and according to the computer manager the drive's max capacity is 30GB. I sent the drive back to the people I ordered it from and they said that it was fine. It comes back. I connect it to a different computer than my laptop, also running XP, and the computer manager says that the capacity is 30GB. I connect it to my laptop same thing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on? I really don't want to open the drive up and void my warrenty.. but I'd really like my 60 GB.

Thanks in advance!

You havn't mentioned the CPU MHz or the vintage of your laptop but this smells like another case of a very large drive being installed into a computer with a BIOS created before larger drives (over 20 gb) were programed. Why not check the specs on the laptop to find out what maximum capacity drive this beast can handle - if the max is 20gb then you'll need a drive overlay which should be available from the manufacturer's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back