Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewire Drive not Appearing on Deskto 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuthatch

Programmer
Apr 12, 2002
US
Hi,
I have a Powermac 8500 (Mac OS 9.1) with a PCI Sonnet Tango USB/Firewire card with a LaCie 60GB external drive and a smartcard reader attached. This setup has worked for 13 months since I had purchased the external drive.

The other day, the LaCie drive stopped appearing on the desktop, but the smartcard reader is still working. I have reseated the PCI Sonnet card, reinstalled the 9.1 firewire drivers and the LaCie Firewire support extension to no avail. There is no amber light (it's green), the drive spins up and the fan works.

Telephoned LaCie yesterday and was told to take the drive to a computer repair place to have the firewire bridge replaced/fixed. I called all of the computer stores and repair locations in the area and no one will fix it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there something that I can do? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Julia

Try running Norton Disk Doctor!! If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Go to system profiler. I'll bet that doesn't see anything on the firewire bus...

This isn't a drive issue. Its not just you that is suffering. OS 9.2 onwards seems to randomly stop using the firewire bus for some devices. There are hundreds of threads on this topic on the Apple site.

We're having trouble with some of the new single processor G4s (the dual proc ones seem fine at the mo) and Umax Powerlook 1120 scanners. They just don't show up...

If anyone has a firewire fix, please drop a reply!!!

Have the same problem on my 40 gig external FW drive on a BW G3. Worked fine for about 16 months, then stopped showing up on the desktop. Called the maker, Acomdata, and was told to send it back - either a bad board, or bad drive. Zeland - I've never heard of a problem with FW devices and OS 9.2. Interesting. I'll try booting up in OSX, and let ya'll know how it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back