Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FIREWALL????

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfletch

MIS
May 3, 2000
US
We are getting a fractional T at work. We have a small network around 30ish workstations. We wont have any web server in house, the T is going to be used for voice transfer (phone lines) and connecting the workstations to the internet. We will be using a Cisco 1720 router. What is the least expensive security I will need to do? Do I need a firewall on each machine or just one machine? I am new to security and internet so have to bare with me. Any suggestions will be helpful. I am also looking into network security as my feild focus, any tips?? Thanks.

depends what kind of firewall your looking at my friend. A PIX firewall is a basically a box through which all your clients are routed. Defined within it are certain 'rules' to allow particular types of traffic or block others. No software is installed on any of your workstations, they just point to one of the interfaces as their default gatewasy. But they are not cheap!

We have a simple software firewall in another area using Linux, this is just to allow certain types of web traffic in and out of our small leased line and works fine, cheap and simple....

I am looking for something very simple. We have a small network and the budget really isnt there. I am looking to put some type of software on a NT box of some type. I am not familar with Linux so there would be a huge learning curve there (not that I dont want to learn it) but we will need a fix soon, and not down the road. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

How about implementing Cisco IOS 12.0 + firewall feature set on the 1720? That way you get the stateful inspection stuff of the PIX without the hardware costs.

Flibble

There are many appliance firewall products out there. This is not in keeping with the "Cisco" forum however I have used a product call sonicwall. It is a basic appliance firewall (in the $500 range) Just plug it in and configure it via your browser.

I would only recommend this if yuo have a very simple network setup.

If you want an all cosco soloution you could look at the PIX 520. i am currently using the PIX 515 with no complaints.

-Danny

I responded under a different forum to your question. The Cisco IOS 12.0 would be the 'quickest' implementation for security, considering you will be using the 1720.

In my research, I'm going to be implementing the relatively new PIX-506 Firewall with 3DES Software to assist with establishing a VPN. Jason Wilder
IT/CAD Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back