Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall, Whats a good Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLADY218

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
Hello everyone, Im not sure if im in the right forum but here it is anyhow.

I have a Belking DSL router with NAT running on it. However I wan't an extra line of defense - another firewall perhaps. What are some hardware solutions for this.

Thanks to all

If you are using this for a small business. I would recommend a Pix 501

Ya its for a small network. Looks like a good choice for my situation. How is the setup on this (havent had much experience with cisco)Will this work beside my already installed router without causing major changes or downtime.

Thanks again I appreciate the input.

I would all depend upon your setup. I have setup several and some take 15min and others several hours. If you do purchase one, buy a support contract. They are only about $70 and that will help you with any items that you have trouble with.

I was looking for the same type of firewall. I am just wondering how much experience is needed to install the 501 PIX. I have no experience with routers. I am hoping that it would come with software that will help me. Or should I out source this?

I've installed a Netgear FVS318 and have been extremely happy with it! Cince to setup and have tried some of the internet sites that will port scan and none have gotten through. New they run about 120.00. I just got a pix 501 and have not learned yet how to config it. Out of the box I ran the startup and answered the questions but was not able to connect to the outside world... oh well... the netgear is a sweet box.

TH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back