Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuri

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
US
We have a 2003 web server application running on a stand alone dsl and I was looking for some firewall recommendations.
Thanks in advance.

Your are looking for Hardware or software firewall?

I'd like to consider both, but probably hardware.

Perhaps you can look at replacing your current DSL Modem/Router with another one which has Firewall capabilities. The Cisco 800 and 1700 series for example does this quite well.

Claudius (What certifications??)

There are a number of firewalls which price range and capabilities vary. What is your perfered $$ range and how many connections are you roughly expecting (ie.personal vs corporate use, and what size of corportate would you be. You can get firewalls from $99 to over $35000. At home I use a SMC broadband router/FW. At work I have a more powerful redundant system.

[cheers]

For home, you can buy all sorts of stuff that says it's a top-class firewall, but personally, I'd recommend the Cisco PIX 501.

Alternatively, the Symantec firewall appliances are pretty good too.

For business, rn4it is right - redundancy and throughput is critical. Take a look at the Cyberguard products - or
Alternatively, if your budget is not up to it, the Cisco PIX 506 or 515E are pretty good too.

If you run a Windows shop, you could opt for Checkpoint Firewall-1 or Microsoft's ISA server.

Hope this helps,

HoinviP

You could always go with a pc running something like ipcop or something of that nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back