Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall Port settings for DHCP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpg121

Programmer
Mar 14, 2001
US
What port does DHCP use to resolve ip addresses, subnets and gateway info? I set up my firewall and clients can't get DHCP info while its up, but can when its down. Thanks

DHCP is based on bootp packets and is a broadcast and does not use ports. If your DHCP Server is on the same segment as your clients then I can't see any reason that the Firewall would interfere with DHCP.

If by chance your DHCP Server is remote and your using your router to forward these requests (by changing the request to a unicast - DHCP Relay-Agent) You may be blocking all IP access to this Server.

Really need more info though.

~CN~

The server is local. The firewall I'm using is BlackICE. I'm just using the normal DHCP service and internet connection sharing. The clients can only detect the DHCP settings and server if the firewall is down.

If the firewall is up, they turn to the automated ip addresses, and to fix that I have to disable the firewall and renew the ip address using ipconfig.

Hope that's enough info.

Thanks

Is the DHCP service on the same physical Server that has BlackIce installed? If so - when the FW is operational and you send a DHCP Request to the server - does this trigger any events in the FW Log?

It is on the same physical server and it leaves no log entry.

Is there any point in firewalling your internal ethernet connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back