Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall Applieance Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2001
US
Cisco 2500 router
-Internet Gateway
-Point-to-Point WAN
1 W2K Server
1 NT 4.0 Server
50 Nodes
4 Allied Telesyn Switches

Will be configuring VPN soon.

Any firewall appliance recommendations?
---------------------------------------
Tom Berger
Formix Solutions, Corp.
Baltimore, MD

The best firewall I have come across is Sidewinder. What really matters though is how valuable is the information you will be protecting? That should help you in the direction of what you want and how much your willing to spend on security.

I'm a bit biased towards Checkpoint myself. There are a lot of appliances out there to suit different needs and sizes of networks. I went to a seminar put on by Checkpoint recently and was surprised by the number of appliances out there.

If you're looking for low-cost solutions you might try VPN Dynamics, but their V6 tops out at 50 users.

Checkpoint's website has good links to their appliance partners, so I'd check it out. Another good link (if you're interested in Checkpoint) would be - it's an unofficial support site but has great info.

I think that one of the best firewalls money can buy is Nokia.
You could also look at SonicWall.
SonicWall also cost around 20% of Nokia.

We use Symantec/Raptor firewalls (can't get the money to switch to Nokia) and SonicWall's.

All our ADSL users have a SonicWall at home that we manage from the office. SonicWall's are very easy to handle.

/johnny

We run Sidewinders here. They are definitely the best Layer 7 firewalls you can by...if you want to spend $100,000. Checkpoint is a good Layer 4 firewall. You can also get a Cisco Pix 515 with IPsec for about $3000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back