Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall and Spam Blocking for Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISdad

Technical User
May 5, 2004
I have a home network set up and am interested in putting in a machine to be a firewall and also to block spam. I guess I am looking for suggestions as to the best way to approach this - what software to use etc. Our email comes from a domain that we own but is hosted by a 3rd party vendor. So outlook is getting mail from mail.servername.com which is reached via the internet and not our local internal network. What I am wanting to set up is a system that will scan email coming from the domain into our home network and catch and block spam before it goes in to the local mailbox on each computer as opposed to having to set up a spam blocker on each computer separately. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

One way to do that would be to set up a local mailbox server, which will get its mail feed from your 3rd party vendor's system (fetchmail comes to mind). Or, which would be better IMO, define/setup your own primary MX server, the third party being only secondary MX.
Then add something like postfix/spamassassin on your local server.
Then, point your Outlooks to this mail server as IMAP system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back