Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

firestarter question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgould00

Programmer
Feb 18, 2003
US
i have been using firestarter on an RH8.0 box as my firewall for my company for about a month now and have a wierd problem....after 2-3 days, the 'hits' screen will stop logging. i assume the firewall is still running because i still have web access and when i test my ports externally, they show that they are all closed. anyone have any ideas on why it stops logging?

thanks in advance....

Could the partition on which it writes the logs to be filled up?

thanks...but there is plenty of room. anyway when i re-boot the machine, it starts logging again without clearing the old log!?!?!?!?!?

What version of Firestarter are you using?

There is a known issue with the hit display.
Check the sourceforge.net firestarter page for more information.
I have the same problem without a resolution.

i am using version 0.9.1....a basic search for 'firestarter' on sourceforge.net returned 0 results. where should i look specifically?
thanks....

I have the same problem! If I leave the interface open after a couple of days it hangs. But if I close it (and make sure it is not opened also in the taskbar) everything is ok.

Also I am a bit dissapointed that the hits messages are written through the kernel therefore when I look at the text console every second or so 2 lines of text announce me of some hit. I have disabled loging from the script that starts firestarter but I'd wish there was an interface option to do that, and put the log in a different file.

Also another problem which really bothers me. I am using webmin on 10000 and of course I want to block the port for outsiders. But if you enter 10000 in the blocked ports firestarter blocks it for the intranet too. Any ideeas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back